Looking for a copy of the Nick Lenz book

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got mine off FB auctions for $75 last spring. Keep an eye on it for sure, you can squeeze out under $100 if you’re patient! Fantastic book, my favorite.

“In time, a gorgeous white cedar might die… do not throw it away. Rather, place it in your garden. It will continue to capture the eye of the beholder long after you are dead.”

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Bonsai pot auctions:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately this happens with any popular book. As soon as it's out of print, the price goes nuts. I've seen it with all kinds of books, not just bonsai books

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings!

The Nick Lenz book is up for bid at FB Bonsai Pot Auctions right now. Present bid $40. I’d say it worth a try. Auction closes Saturday later afternoon PST

B639238C-89C4-4377-B04D-FD44D5D1391B.png

Good Luck
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep. Probably for the best.

I didn’t either until I got tired of browsing websites for pots the size I want and signed up for the three groups that post pots. That’s what I was looking for when I ran into the post.

Good luck on your search.
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's the newer revised edition--a better version than the older one IMO. I got both of issues when they were in print. Both are very good at what they do--inform about northeastern native species (and catalog Nick Lenz's cranky approach to bonsai--which is a bonus ;-))--and a few of the higher profile western conifers-Ponderosa and RMJ in particular. As for joining FB, well, if you're not on there, you're missing a pretty good source for a lot of bonsai stuff, from pots to pretty nice trees.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's the newer revised edition--a better version than the older one IMO. I got both of issues when they were in print. Both are very good at what they do--inform about northeastern native species (and catalog Nick Lenz's cranky approach to bonsai--which is a bonus ;-))--and a few of the higher profile western conifers-Ponderosa and RMJ in particular. As for joining FB, well, if you're not on there, you're missing a pretty good source for a lot of bonsai stuff, from pots to pretty nice trees.
Seee I need that book , although I like a few Japanese /Asian species for Bonsai… North American Species is where my heart is especially Northeast for current and futures inspirations. I wish I could meet Nick Lenz, Is he still alive?

Last edited:

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some outfit called ‘Books in Demand’ on Amazon is offering a copy in ‘acceptable’ [read ‘beat to shit’] condition for $1,072!!

I managed to get my copy of Callaham’s Satsuki book on Amazon for forty bucks when a library friends group was having a big used book sale. At the time the collectible book sellers were asking $475.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Contact Stone Lantern if you want them to negotiate a reprinting. I believe they did the second edition. If they get enough requests, they might convince Nick to do it.

Nick is pretty advanced in age right now, well over 80 years. I don't know his health. So I don't know if he'd approve a reprint or not.

ChadA2

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow, yet another super expensive thing on my wish list ;)

Top Bottom