Looking for a few things.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
New to the hobby and I'm looking for some jwp, trident maples and azaleas. All prebonsai/ seedlings. Thank you pm me availability or information on them please.

Also a decent tool starter set.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New to the hobby and I'm looking for some jwp, trident maples and azaleas. All prebonsai/ seedlings. Thank you pm me availability or information on them please.

Gee, well maybe someone who has a bunch for sale will contact you or maybe someone who dislikes seeing you put any effort into finding material yourself will chime in ...

ed

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Before you buy up a bunch of trees you need to learn all you can. The 2 most important are patience and keeping your trees not just alive but thriving. You can accomplish some of this by reading everything on this site and many others AND by joining your local club, The Baltimore Bonsai Club. www.baltimorebonsaiclub.com/ They will help with the knowledge and advise and also sources for good material. Buying blindly is often expensive and very frustrating.

Good luck.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
You guys are tough lol. I have 4 jbp. And I see plenty of people seeking jbp. Also before I go and buy from somewhere like stonelanter I figured I'd ask if anyone was selling old tools. As for the jwp I'd like a seedling not one grafted to a jbp. I have done research sorry I'd didn't get into details and list researches and references. Didn't know I needed to write a full essay when looking for a few thing. Was hoping to find one person to buy all trees from. I have a place locally for the azalea and another place for the trident. Haven't found a good source for the jwp. Is this a better background or do you want more details of my life and history. I had a jwp years ago I moved out of my fathers house and he killed it. I had it alive " thriving " for 3 years. The jbps I have are thriving but the buyer I got them from was horrible. .

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks. Will check them out but looking to buy from a hobbest not a store if possible. That was the reason for this post. Looking for someone like this guy.
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?14722-Pine-seedlings

I see...well, I have made purchases from New England Bonsai as well as Plant City. Though Plant City is missing from the list. Some are members here on the form. Look for the * by those names.

Reaction score
Who would think that this guy would get accosted for posting in the WANTED forum?

Some of you are WAY too full of yourselves. You really need to step away from the keyboard for a while.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You may want to check with Pre-bonsai Mark on Facebook. I don't know many that know just how much material he has but it's a lot. He also has many friends in the business and won't mind pointing you in the right direction if needed. He's really a great guy that loves his work. Best of all, he's sort of in your neck of the woods.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Google Matt Ouwinga and check with him through his website for JWP seedlings.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You might want to do some research on some of those species.

The maples and azalea should be fine, JWP however, could be another story.

I would LOVE to have a JWP on its own roots; I really dislike most of the grafted ones.
However, my understanding is that JWP is a mountain species that likes very cold winters and cool summers.
The reason why they are grafted is because they simply wont thrive and probably wont survive our summer.
Conversely, the JBP to which most are grafted like a milder climate.

I live north of you so if an ungrafted JWP wont live with my summer, they definately wont live in yours.
JBP might be your best bet, also mugos should do fine.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I had a jwp thrive for 3 years with no sign of burnt leaves and it tripled in size from a 3-4 inch seedling to a promising 2.5 foot tree. You just have to baby them keep them in the shade during summer with only a few hours of sunlight.

FromSeed

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

I have Tridents. PM me..

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you aren't interested in dealing with reputable dealers then perhaps you should seek out a club in your area. There will be all sorts of locally acclimated material available.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You might want to do some research on some of those species.

The maples and azalea should be fine, JWP however, could be another story.

I would LOVE to have a JWP on its own roots; I really dislike most of the grafted ones.
However, my understanding is that JWP is a mountain species that likes very cold winters and cool summers.
The reason why they are grafted is because they simply wont thrive and probably wont survive our summer.
Conversely, the JBP to which most are grafted like a milder climate.

I live north of you so if an ungrafted JWP wont live with my summer, they definately wont live in yours.
JBP might be your best bet, also mugos should do fine.

julian Adams of adams bonsai always has some nice jwp seedlings....he has an excellent seed source in Japan. I have been growing several jwp seedlings for as long as 10 years now...zuishio airlayer as well.

paradox I think your information about where they do well is faulty:)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
paradox I think your information about where they do well is faulty:)
Agreed...I am tending to 3 JWP; 2 of them have been happy in AL for decades. I'd have more if I lived even 150 miles further north. MD should be no problem and if you're killing JWP in NY, it's due to too much water.

Top Bottom