Looking for a good price on premixed substrate...

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It cheaper to just buy each component and mix it yourself. I like doing this as it cheaper, you get more, and you can mix it in parts for smaller or larger trees n such. For the organic part I use a huge bag of sifter pine bark I get from Home Depot, though you could get akadama too. Only down side is you have to sift it your self, it I don't mind that part. I also throw in a splash of horticatural charcoal in the mix as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Gal-3-8-R...733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf1a1508d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pumice-size-1-4-to-3-8-soil-mix-cactus-succulent-bonsai-3-GAL/251771739493?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=28794&meid=9439259091e9402b871cf7952b2130c0&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=250654714523&rt=nc

I usally spend about 80ish and get around 10lbs worth

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What are you currently using? Does it work well for you? Remember that if you are switching substrates, you'll have a learning curve ahead. I also source my substrates singly and mix. That way I can tailor the mix to the type of tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well...to be honest the cherry and wisteria came potted...I've not really repotted. That mix came from Plant City for he repotted both prior to shipping. (Leaving the wisteria alone for a few years...but wish to put the cherry into the pot that was made by Erin Pottery)

My bougainvilleas I've used bougainvillea BGI soil for them. (The only ones I've ever repotted...but reading about how easily they rot...have been thinking they need less organic)

My lilac's are still in nursery pot with soil they came in. So no clue what they should be put into.

My creeper seems to be in a cheap mix of some sort...but, I read they need to be kept in a deep pot for moisture so thinking an organic mix for them might be best.

I've tried to stay out of substrate threads because they make my head spin...I've heard Boon is good by many. Thus...I thought to go that route. But, think the creeper would stay moister in the Wee brand mix that is more organic.

The entire repotting is a new territory for me.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Sorry I guess I should have read the title, looking for a pre mix. Is you don't have many then get the first mix. I have around 40ish tree that's why I look for bulk. Just get boons version and ad a little organic to it.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Im waiting on the box stores to start stocking for Spring here. I have my DE already and some pumice left over from last year but I need to get some bark.

There's a local guy (Dave Bogan) here that sells premixed 5 gallon bags for $30. He also has some akadama so I may actually try that out for the first time.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah...just 4 needing repotted.

I wish I had your self control. I have been at this less than a year and I have over 90 pieces of all types from collected to Chumono with 360 seeds starting to come up. Let me know if you want some foster children.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wish I had your self control. I have been at this less than a year and I have over 90 pieces of all types from collected to Chumono with 360 seeds starting to come up. Let me know if you want some foster children.

Lol I've more than four...only four are in need of repotting. Though...I could do one more if I think about it. That are in the gazebo/cold greenhouse. I may repot the bougainvilleas come summer. But for now... 8 out in the gazebo total. One I plan on putting in the ground. 6 tropical...trying to really stay within 20 trees. So I don't feel overwhelmed.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My bougainvilleas I've used bougainvillea BGI soil for them. (The only ones I've ever repotted...but reading about how easily they rot...have been thinking they need less organic.
Hey Caddie... here's a photo of what one of my bougies looked like this AM...

spring5.jpg

It gets almost NO supplemental watering all year. You can see the soil it's on - 100% southern california clay - nasty stuff. You need a pickaxe just to dig in it. But bougies are wierd. Touchy the first couple years, but once established they will put up with any abuse. Full sun and not too much water is the key!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Caddie... here's a photo of what one of my bougies looked like this AM...

View attachment 67537

It gets almost NO supplemental watering all year. You can see the soil it's on - 100% southern california clay - nasty stuff. You need a pickaxe just to dig in it. But bougies are wierd. Touchy the first couple years, but once established they will put up with any abuse. Full sun and not too much water is the key!

Wow! What a gift to behold just opening up this thread and seeing that beautiful bougainvillea in bloom!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So what are you going to do with them?

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So what are you going to do with them?
Keeping all the plants. With the seeds I am going to probably keep some and give away the rest. I have planted zumi crabapple, shimpaku, JBP, JRP, CE, Virginia Creeper, and several maples (Acers palmatum (bloodgood and hoguyoku), hersi, ginalla, full moon, tatartian and two others), plus some dawn redwoods and some ficus religiousa. We will see what grows. I see you live in Anacortes. Keep in touch. I will post pics as they come up.

Top Bottom