Looking for a Hornbeam

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of years ago I collected a Beech on our land and some people made comments that there should be some Hornbeam around since there were Beech and they may be close to water. This weekend I decided to take a look Saturday afternoon, good chance to get my Dad out of the house as he enjoys going back to his home grounds. Tells me stories of where they would walk (no not backwards up hill in the snow) from this place to that as we go by them, they got their exercise!
I went down to a lower part of the property and followed a small stream

IMG_3269.jpgIMG_3272.jpgIMG_3273.jpgIMG_3278.jpgIMG_3281.jpg

Did not see any Hornbeam

On the way out I saw a Beech, looked at the leaves and saw small brown leaves being pushed off by the tiny new green leaf coming out. Yep that's a Beech and I want to take something back, it was a long way down and just love to carry something back up the hill.

IMG_3282.jpg

Yeah I know, it is not a Beech, after I got it dug up and started out of the woods looking around I see Beech everywhere with the slick bark trunk. I don't know what this is, but after the walk back up the hill, I put it in a pot.

IMG_3288.jpg
The picture does not really show how steep this is. The rocks were just added by the power company for work they are doing. I should have taken the picture from the spot where you see the rocks start to go down.
So the rest of the story, for some reason I had in mind a hornbeam was a small 3-4 foot bush like tree, or maybe that is just what I was hoping to find. When I got home and talked to Google, I found I was looking for the wrong thing. It may have been some there, most likely I will not make it back in time to collect this year, but may get a chance to find some.
So I did not find Hornbeam, dug up a "something" tree and my Dad enjoyed the day for sure. When I got back to the truck he had been talking to his sister, on a cell phone, that he connected to the Bluetooth and talked through the speakers sitting on top of a hill that they grew up around. I think to my self, this is a 87 yr man that went to school 1-5th in a one room school house, that they did walk about 5 miles to. Think of the things he has seen come and go, good and bad, WOW!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A good son. Talk often to learn and remember all those stories. They are valuable. Nice work.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I mistakenly collected a hopped hornbeam thinking it was beech because the leaves hang on through winter, could be what you got

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hophornbeams hold their leaves through winter, so that's almost certainly what you have. Bark matches to a T.

Top Bottom