looking for a naka book

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Was chatting with the new Curator for the Weyerhaeuser Bonsai museum and a book of John Naka's came up. I'd never heaqrd of it. So I went to Amazon and it wasn't listed.

would like to find it

Even,Monkies fall from trees....I believe is the correct title.

any help locating a copy would be appreciated.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aarin comes up with them, that's for sure. He's a good guy.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's a collection of John's witticisms written by Nina Ragle- so you may not find it searching Naka.
Dick I'll see if I can find you a copy. Some of them are pretty funny.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
There are actually 2 books: Bonsai Techniques 1 and Bonsai Techniques 2. There were notes from his demonstration/workshops/lectures. Techniques 1 has the most narratives/instructions and Techniques is most drawings. They are normally expensive. Dallas Bonsai http://www.dallasbonsai.com/books-media/english-bonsai-books.html has collectors editions available. They only seldom come up on any of the "sale" web sites.

In the mean-time there are some excellent newer books that are available. Just ask about books for your interested species or styles and I'm sure that others with respond with suggestions.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's comments here.

I was able to order the book and it's suppose to arrive day after thanksgiving.

I quess the concept for the title is based on the fact that all of us including monkeys make mistakes, hence their fall. I'm looking forward to it.

Note to Lordy: Am so looking forward to spending time with Aarin. Already I've come to
have a high regard for his person and ability :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Book arrived the first of december. The copy I found was autographed by author and John.

the contents are listed alphabetically regarding topics, ie family,honor, wit.....

The author takes the subject and explains it's japanese meaning often relating it to well known
english/american sayings and then explains how a student might have brought the saying out
by their teacher.

I'm throughly enjoying this book for it's wisdom and humor, written in a way that helps you understand the great personalty of the father of american bonsai an his japanese heritage, and his common sense ways from both cultures of approaching our hobby.

So much of my bonsai library of hundreds of books are how to types and it's actually nice to get something you read thru once and enjoy, instead of re-reading to pick up a obscure technique the author is teaching.

I'm Grateful to our new curator for the Weyerhauser bonsai Museum for bringing this book to my attention. As I probably would never have run across it. Tho it seems strange that it would occur as I know Nina and husband Larry (author and husband) for the Ragle's work
with suiseki.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was just thinking of this the other day...if you had received your book. Sounds like a well thought out book and worth the investment. Putting it on my list. Thanks for the book review!

Top Bottom