Looking for a reputable online seller for Chinese Elm

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m looking to order a Chinese Elm, what is the best place to order them? Is Brussels any good? They have listed 14yrs old trees for $150. That sounds too good to be true

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't focus so much at age in this situation, judge the tree for its particular characteristics. I'd rather have a 5 year old tree with an amazing base and root system over a 20 year old tree that had no nebari and no movement.

Check out Wigert's. They have chinese elms for sure! :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those S trunks...to some are less desirable. I though...find them cute as a cascade. Like found here with Jason Schley.

Dasu Bonsai usually has some, sometimes closer to $100 at times. But he's sold out with none listed on his site currently. *I do only shop his finished trees category. I do not like brown bagging purchases where something is to resemble something. Many do this..I prefer to know what my money is buying me.

I have never based my purchase on how old a tree is. To me is about what the tree looks like. Represents as an image.

Now let me address something...you need to know we are in winter. I would not ship a tree to myself right now. With winter...and postal delays still being seen in my area. 15 minutes from town...and it can take 6 weeks to get mail to another person that close to my own location. I am requesting no one ship USPS. IF I am on a timeline for needing it sooner. I did just purchase a tree from Jason. It won't ship until spring. Wintering and acclimating...he's from the south. Worrying about nighttime temps as it moves through shipping. I don't feel comfortable with. I'm currently sitting at negative digits outside. Some do heat packs. I just don't trust them...for myself.

I believe it's shipping at your own risk for some nurseries if you choose to ship now. Make sure you know their policies.

If you fill in your profile. You will find ones can offer you a more to the point answers for any questions you may have . In the future.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m looking to order a Chinese Elm, what is the best place to order them? Is Brussels any good? They have listed 14yrs old trees for $150. That sounds too good to be true

Brussels is good, but for $150 you will not get to pick your tree, you’ll get one from an endless row of trees in that approximate size.
Try www.evergreengardenworks.com if you contact Brent directly with your budget, it’s possible he has something for you that will look a bit less assembly-line.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try your Most Hipsterish Home Depot.

Problem with Chinese Elm is it's not a reputable product 90% of the time, so finding a reputable dealer should add much shock value to the price.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Try your Most Hipsterish Home Depot.

Problem with Chinese Elm is it's not a reputable product 90% of the time, so finding a reputable dealer should add much shock value to the price.

Sorce
Not going to lie... every time I walk by the Home Depot bonsai shelf, I do a quick once-over just to see if they might have something interesting.

Heck, even our Costco has been seen carrying mass-produced bonsai products during the gardening season!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been looking for a nice Chinese Elm myself, but its hard to find one thats not a seedling, with a decent sized trunk that either isnt huge and $$$$$ or shaped like an "S".

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been looking for a nice Chinese Elm myself, but its hard to find one thats not a seedling, with a decent sized trunk that either isnt huge and $$$$$ or shaped like an "S".
Reach out to Jason Schley. I just spoke with him. He has some home grown ones not listed on his website.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't know if Bonsai West in MA ships, but they have Chinese Elm and were just putting together some shohin size ones last week. They usually have good starter material too, if you want to start from scratch. Their website isn't great, it'd definitely be a call-and-ask situation. I've found the quality of what I've gotten from there top notch to my eye, and I know a lot of care and attention is given to what they have.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is Miamitropical any good?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Look in @Si Nguyen's back yard. He has a cork bark Chinese elm that grew out through the bottom of a nursery pot and now has a 6" trunk caliper! He has been using it for air-layers :)

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't focus so much at age in this situation, judge the tree for its particular characteristics. I'd rather have a 5 year old tree with an amazing base and root system over a 20 year old tree that had no nebari and no movement.

Check out Wigert's. They have chinese elms for sure! :)

I really like these Cascade ones. What do you look for when ordering a pre-bonsai? How can I tell with one is a nicer specimen? Trunk thickness? shape?

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like these Cascade ones. What do you look for when ordering a pre-bonsai? How can I tell with one is a nicer specimen? Trunk thickness? shape?

I wish there were more images of the first one. It's a nice cascade. But you can't see anything of how the base is. That makes me pause. You could ask for more photos. That is never an issue. They are good about that.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wish there were more images of the first one. It's a nice cascade. But you can't see anything of how the base is. That makes me pause. You could ask for more photos. That is never an issue. They are good about that.

If you read the description, you arent getting that tree. That is an example of the kind of tree you are going to get.
If Im gona spend $200+, I want to see the tree Im getting before I buy it

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you read the description, you arent getting that tree. That is an example of the kind of tree you are going to get.
If Im gona spend $200+, I want to see the tree Im getting before I buy it
No I didn't read the description. PASS! $200 I want to know what my money is buying. Shoot...I don't like brown bag purchases.

Top Bottom