Looking for a retailer between Pensacola and Sandestin, Florida

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Heading back to Navarre Bc this year for vacation.
I am looking for a retailer like the title reads, between Pensacola and Destin to Sandestin, Florida.
Something worthwhile looking at. I've made a few purchases at Bonsai by Dori, N of Panama City
in Cottondale, Fl and may go home that way if she's still in business.
https://www.facebook.com/bonsaibydori/ < something like this place is what I'm looking for at least.
Looking for outdoor bonsai, pre-bonsai, probably juniper, but will know when I see it, whether Maple or Spruce
who knows?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in this general area and know of nothing but very interested in if others do.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Heading back to Navarre Bc this year for vacation.
I am looking for a retailer like the title reads, between Pensacola and Destin to Sandestin, Florida.
Something worthwhile looking at. I've made a few purchases at Bonsai by Dori, N of Panama City
in Cottondale, Fl and may go home that way if she's still in business.
https://www.facebook.com/bonsaibydori/ < something like this place is what I'm looking for at least.
Looking for outdoor bonsai, pre-bonsai, probably juniper, but will know when I see it, whether Maple or Spruce
who knows?

This is like an 80 mile trip between these two - most fl bonsai spots are further south.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I live in this general area and know of nothing but very interested in if others do.
Hello Robert. Good to know you live in the area, and means a lot your reply.
Sounds as though things haven’t changed there any as far as the hobby is concerned.
I once found a fly by night refrigerator service guy on the N side of 98 near Mary Esther that sold
less than what I have in my personal inventory I think. I did purchase the pot my golden
variety of Hinoki is in right now at his place though. Came pre wired with un annealed copper wire.

So, is the Vietnamese owned Sea Land restaurant still in business at Ft Walton?
Love their Key Lime pie and prime rib.

This is like an 80 mile trip between these two - most fl bonsai spots are further south.
Hiya choppy choppy! Thanks for the reply. Yes it’s a jaunt. We usually go into these areas 2 or 3 times during the week there. Love the drive on Hwy 399 through the dunes along the Gulf Coast. It’s mesmerizing to me it’s so beautiful.
Then there’s Ft Pickens I swear is haunted. Sounds like we will be heading up 231 to Cottondale.

After that will be heading to Bonsai by the Monastery (Bonsai Monk) in. Conyers Ga. :cool:
Have never visited there but have purchased from their e store when it was up and running
so not sure what to expect. I hate to pass up something in Cottondale for a possible higher caliber
purchase in Conyers and not find anything there in my price range I liked.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you’re going to the Monastery, you might plan your route to continue north through Atlanta and hit Plant City Bonsai. It’s been a few years since I’ve been to them all, but among Dori, Monastery, and Plant City, Plant City had the best selection, variety and prices. Dori was always closed when I stopped, but peeking in, the selection was low and prices were high. Monestary had more starter plants/cuttings, and a few specimens priced to not sell. Plant City was an enjoyable stop; good trees, some pots, and tools.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you’re going to the Monastery, you might plan your route to continue north through Atlanta and hit Plant City Bonsai. It’s been a few years since I’ve been to them all, but among Dori, Monastery, and Plant City, Plant City had the best selection, variety and prices. Dori was always closed when I stopped, but peeking in, the selection was low and prices were high. Monestary had more starter plants/cuttings, and a few specimens priced to not sell. Plant City was an enjoyable stop; good trees, some pots, and tools.
Awesome Brian! Thank you, appreciate your input, as always :)
Really good to know, especially since we're going to be right there near Atlanta Rhythm Section and Stone Mountain again.
Link book marked.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dori was always closed when I stopped, but peeking in, the selection was low and prices were high. ...
Her schedule has probably changed some with family growing up. I've been in her store 3 times now
always open back then somewhere between 2000 and 2008 time frame. She had a really nice Bougainvillea
I thought till I saw the one at NEB. They do have an off site grow field or two keeping their corner lot stocked.
Always had a $20 display rack out front I've made good on.

What price range are the sea green 30 yr juniper patch? Hopefully a good selection of shimpaku to choose from...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There's nothing between Panama City through Destin and onto Pensacola. Dori is a roadside seller that has some bonsai material inside to basically lure into purchasing the $19.95 stuff. The material inside is overpriced in the hopes you won't buy it. I'm not slamming her for being in business. I get it, she's trying to make a living and probably has a pretty steady stream of inquisitive visitors to feed.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's nothing between Panama City through Destin and onto Pensacola. Dori is a roadside seller that has some bonsai material inside to basically lure into purchasing the $19.95 stuff. The material inside is overpriced in the hopes you won't buy it. I'm not slamming her for being in business. I get it, she's trying to make a living and probably has a pretty steady stream of inquisitive visitors to feed.
Hi Vin! So are you retired yet? I see a market in NW Florida...:)
Even if I find nothing at the Monastery I'm looking for, it should be a nice visit. Hope Plant City pans out.
I didn't expect this thread to get as much attention as it has, way down on the forum list.
Really impressed with the timely responses. Another thing "I LOVE about this forum".

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Vin! So are you retired yet? I see a market in NW Florida...:)
Even if I find nothing at the Monastery I'm looking for, it should be a nice visit. Hope Plant City pans out.
I didn't expect this thread to get as much attention as it has, way down on the forum list.
Really impressed with the timely responses. Another thing "I LOVE about this forum".
I thought about it but I just don't think the market is big enough to support a stand alone. The Monastery has a great soil mix that I picked up at an Auction. I'd like to get up there one day and check it out. Too many irons in the fire at the moment.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Vin I used to pay top dollar for the Monastery soil mix. The best going pre-mix out there for sure IMO.
I do miss their e-store . If I were routing there 1st on my way down, I'd pick you up a bucket.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom