Looking for a rock

Shibito

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
As title says, I'm searching for a rock for one of my junipers.
I kno junipers's roots are not the best for this style but I'm just gonna give it a try, I have a lot of old itoigawa cuttings to style.
So, for the ones that are expert with ishizuki/seki-joju, what are the best specific type of rocks that I can find?
I also remember reading a discussing about root-over rock a while ago, they were talking about some Japanese river rocks that were used a lot in the past but aren't common today. Any suggestions?
Sorry for my English as always.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are lots of type of rock that will be good for rock plantings.
Keep away from slates and shales because they tend to crack and fall apart in cold weather. If it has layers in the structure it probably won't last long in the weather.
Shape is more important than rock type but some types of rock make interesting shapes more often.
Granite and other igneous rocks tend to form flat or round shapes so not really interesting for root over rock but some granite slabs are good for slab planting if you can find a source.
Sandstone can erode to form some interesting mountain shapes and is good for planting on.
Volcanic scoria type rocks also come in good shapes for planting root over or root on.
Ironstone in my area comes in good shapes and is long lasting but heavy for larger pieces.
Some limestones can form great shapes but I don't have them near me so not sure how long lasting for bonsai purposes.
Planting rocks can be made up from smaller pieces glued together to form a large rock with good planting ledges and holes.

Rock can be very heavy. Large rock plantings are very difficult to move and maintain properly. Consider artificial rock instead. Not only lighter and easy to manage but you can make a rock any shape you like instead of searching forever looking for just the right piece.
Aerated concrete building blocks can easily be sawed, carved and filed to make any shape. Glue several blocks together if you want a larger rock. Seal the finished rock with cement slurry colored with appropriate oxide colors for a natural long lasting look.
Polystyrene can also make 'rocks'. easy to carve and melt to shape and very light to handle. Needs a better waterproof coating on the finished rock to waterproof and weather proof the whole thing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Are you'se 👆 cousins?

Try the fish tank store, the right one not Petco!

You can actually buy small packages of that river stone online too.

Sorce

Top Bottom