Looking for a square pot

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking for a square pot, about 11 inches wide, 6 inches deep. Unglazed, grayish clay, but dark brown would be OK. It should tend toward the masculine side (straight sides rather than curvy, solid feet), but not to the extreme (small or no lip, no "windows" pressed into the sides).

Anyone have any leads on a pot like that?

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm looking for a square pot, about 11 inches wide, 6 inches deep. Unglazed, grayish clay, but dark brown would be OK. It should tend toward the masculine side (straight sides rather than curvy, solid feet), but not to the extreme (small or no lip, no "windows" pressed into the sides).

Anyone have any leads on a pot like that?

Can you show us the tree you would like to stick into the pot - for a little guidance? Have you tried Diane - I know she just got/is getting a container in from Japan. Looking at some notes I have from last year, she had one that was brown, 11.5" x 6", and middle of the road on the masculinity scale - which might work out. If you want something custom, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you show us the tree you would like to stick into the pot - for a little guidance?

Hi Rich,

Here is the tree, in a virtual repot. This pot is too big, probably about 14" in scale, and the wrong color. Otherwise it would be fine. I'm not ready for a custom pot right now, unless it was convinced it was absolutely perfect. Also, I want to repot this in the spring (March), so I would probably need something "off the shelf" at this point.

I'll drop Diane a note, I didn't see anything on her site. BTW, I found this pot on Tom's site. I did find another one there, just a bit deeper, but still the reddish color. I may have to settle on that for now.

-Darrell

Attachments

• newpot.jpg
    newpot.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 26

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here
http://www.osiga.com/pot_squar1.html
and the next page
have some that are pretty close. I imagine sizes are outside dimensions.
It looks like Yen is offering some free spring shipping also.
Dale

Thanks, Dale. This is probably the closest match that I've found (Tom at Shady Side also carries it). Just a bit deeper than I want (but that might be OK), and not the right color (but this isn't the final show pot).

-Darrell

Attachments

• pot_squ_ZY12.JPG
    pot_squ_ZY12.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 11

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is probably the closest match that I've found (Tom at Shady Side also carries it). Just a bit deeper than I want (but that might be OK), and not the right color (but this isn't the final show pot).
Darrell, I saw this post and checked earlier. Your requirements ...no window....size... and the color kept me from posting. Hope you can find "the" pot. Keep looking its out there. Your requirements are pretty simple and straight forward. Good luck

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Darrell,

Nice pondy, I know you have probably already considered this and it may be different in real life, but this pic is screaming semi-cascade to me.

Cheers
Ian

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Darrell,

Nice pondy, I know you have probably already considered this and it may be different in real life, but this pic is screaming semi-cascade to me.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks for showing the tree Darrell. Having seen it raw and then again last week after guidance by several MASTERS, can you show us a current pic with the correct potting position - just for giggles, not so much for pot selection as what I saw looked good. And note, as I said prior, this is really going to be a nice tree.

I understand now at this point the need for a nice, but off the shelf pot. Try Diane. I'll see if I can find a picture of the pot I was thinking of. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with Tom's pot as you work on refining this tree. Also, I like the way you say "show pot", as yes, I think this tree will be in the NW show one day - but when it gets to that point I do hope you are the one that creates the pot it is shown in...

Last edited:

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for showing the tree Darrell. Having seen it raw and then again last week after guidance by several MASTERS, can you show us a current pic with the correct potting position - just for giggles, not so much for pot selection as what I saw looked good.

Hi Rich,

That picture is after the last work I did in the fall, so it is pretty much as the tree is now, and the angle is more or less what we are going for.

Also, I like the way you say "show pot", as yes, I think this tree will be in the NW show one day - but when it gets to that point I do hope you are the one that creates the pot it is shown in...

That is a possibility!

-Darrell

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking for a square pot....

Dale Cochoy, Nick Lenz, and Sara Rayner will all make pots to customer specs. This is the easiest way to get that exact pot you want without giving up quality.

Dale is a member here and the others can be found with a search on Google. I have listed only a few in America, with shipping costs in mind.

Will

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrell, I saw this post and checked earlier. Your requirements ...no window....size... and the color kept me from posting. Hope you can find "the" pot. Keep looking its out there. Your requirements are pretty simple and straight forward. Good luck

Thanks, Tom. You would think it would be pretty easy to find, but I'm just not finding much in that size. Lots of smaller, and quite a few bigger.

-Darrell

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found these two pots on http://www.made-in-yixing.com/bonsai402.htm. Just a tad bit larger than I'm looking for, but close enough, and exactly the style I'm looking for. So if anyone has any leads on someone that might have something like this in stock, I would be grateful!

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 9
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 6

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A pot have been found!

Thanks again to everyone for their leads and ideas. At Rich's suggestion, I contacted Diane Lund at Wee Tree Farm (http://www.weetree.com), and she came up with list pot. I had previously checked their website (I'm bought a few things from them over the years), but this one wasn't listed. But with my description, she replied back with this one, which is nearly perfect. I'll post an picture in March, after the repotting.

Attachments

• newpot.jpg
    newpot.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom