looking for accent plant seeds

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Looking for accent plant seed sources--I scrounged on the Google but got nowhere.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Edelweiss talks about "alpine" varieties. I wonder if you can search for it that way. I also know I picked up some elfin thyme last year. It is the tiniest thyme I've ever seen.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never had much luck finding reliable seed sources for miniature plants, though I haven't looked for several years. For internet specialty sources, I like model railroad stores, like these guys for dwarf and miniature plants. You can also check your local nursery for "steppables" and rock garden plants.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How about suppliers for terrarium plants? I know these are usually smaller plants... You may have to buy the plants and grow them out for their seed though, I don't know if they would carry seeds.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For you, what do you consider an appropriate accent plant? Are you looking for sedum, or small flowering plants, grass, herbaceous plants, or something else?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
For you, what do you consider an appropriate accent plant? Are you looking for sedum, or small flowering plants, grass, herbaceous plants, or something else?

Anything small and wonderful, like alpines, and miniatures--and reasonably hardy (zone 7 or hardier) that could grow on the benches of my Midwest (northern) garden. I would like to grow them from seed.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let us know how your search goes. If seed for miniature is difficult to find, as Stan Kengai suggests, I know that I can find seed for a lot of miniature plants in China, including sedum and some high-altitude plants that may fall within the Alpine category. A large portion of these are also imported, so I'm not limited to strictly Asian flora. If you have difficulty finding things, I wouldn't mind mailing an envelope of seeds. Just a thought.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I'm a member of Japan's Koi hobby association, called zen nippon arinkai.each month
they send out an english translated magazine, Nichirin, "bright Scale", for overseas members. The envelope is always
slit open about 2 inches as Uncle sam checks for whatever he thinks is in there,

just sayin'

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a member of Japan's Koi hobby association, called zen nippon arinkai.each month
they send out an english translated magazine, Nichirin, "bright Scale", for overseas members. The envelope is always
slit open about 2 inches as Uncle sam checks for whatever he thinks is in there,

just sayin'

yeah, it does happen. Would alpine and sedum plant seeds be restricted? I actually have no idea what the regulations are.

crust, I just ran across this site: Seed People > Alpine Seeds for potentially useful alpine flora seeds.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crust, you might just try searching etsy and ebay for seeds of whatever particular species you're interested in. ... I found seeds for tons of varieties of columbine at both places. Some sellers may even specialize in miniatures. -- I've also found hard to find maple seeds on etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/?ref=si_home

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lowes in my area had a. Dwarf form of sedum two yrs in a row in spring, look around garden centers.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lowes in my area had a. Dwarf form of sedum two yrs in a row in spring, look around garden centers.

I could probably find some if I had a "clue" what you were interested in, perhaps even in my seed "bins". Not being an "ass" but your question has to broad a spectrum to cover realistically. I normally for example grow trees that do well in my zone so I grow accents that compliment them that can be seen on nature trails local. That includes some really nice Sedums, Grasses, and more. Tell me what you are going for :)

Grimmy

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
After following up some leads from fruit bore from this message, I have determined that buying the plants from one of the many online sources is probably the way i should go. Seeds are fun but many of the cooler plants I'd like have extreme seed growing requirements( i.e. freeze them, hold under arm for two weeks etc.) Anyway, one good thing is I have found lots of sources and the whole process made me think about what I like. Thanks to everyone!

Top Bottom