Looking for advice about my yamadori/pre-bonsai hunting

Dauber

Seedling
Reaction score
I am new to bonsai and I am looking for some advice on some material. I'm not too concerned with species at this point, I'm just trying to get the hang of spotting a good "guinea pig" or two. Following are some pictures of what I considered to be potential "successes". Although, I admit that I'm not doing this to succeed. Anyway, I would appreciate some advice. Are any of these trees workable? Would any of you consider these trees to be good "guinea pigs" for me? Do you see potential? Or am I blinded by excitement for my newfound interest? Thanks!

20181229_160244[1].jpg
Beech Tree. The trunk is about 5ish inches in diameter, it has 4 or 5 new "trunks". The main section of the trunk is split down the middle, which is strange.
20181229_160209[1].jpg
A better view of the cleft down the middle.
20181229_141856[2].jpg
Paper Birch.
20181229_141835[1].jpg

20181228_151835[1].jpg
Eastern Hemlock. There were a bunch of these that had been hack up by road crews(?) and munched on by deer. I'm hoping to find a couple to bring home. There were a few Eastern White Pines too. 20181229_141741[1].jpg
Black Birch. These were scattered all over the place.
20181229_141729[1].jpg
Pretty neat looking trunk. Healthy little trees, they're in a rough spot lol.

20181228_142405[1].jpg
Beavers have been munching on some Red Maple(?) next to a lake. Have they been preparing some pre-bonsai for me?
20181228_142048[1].jpg

Dauber

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've posted this in the "New to Bonsai" section.

Dauber

Seedling
Reaction score
I thought so too. In the past week, my eyes have been drawn to Nebaris and trunk lines like they are usually drawn to shiny and bouncy objects. Will this wear off? lol.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought so too. In the past week, my eyes have been drawn to Nebaris and trunk lines like they are usually drawn to shiny and bouncy objects. Will this wear off? lol.

Hopefilly;).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I believe this can only get worse. You're being sucked into the void, get out while you can! Or.. Make sure you have enough space to feed the addiction.

Dauber

Seedling
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I believe this can only get worse. You're being sucked into the void, get out while you can! Or.. Make sure you have enough space to feed the addiction.

Haha, I think it's too late to reverse this process. I'm gonna see what happens. I have some space, I have some time, and I have a desire to learn. Hopefully that should be enough.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beech are not the easiest trees for a beginner. Any of these could be used for practice collecting. You probably want to dig around the base and make sure you have close in feeder roots. The ones growing in gravel sometime run a long way before you find those feeder roots.

Dauber

Seedling
Reaction score
Beech are not the easiest trees for a beginner. Any of these could be used for practice collecting. You probably want to dig around the base and make sure you have close in feeder roots. The ones growing in gravel sometime run a long way before you find those feeder roots.
Thank kind of sucks because there are tons of beech around, all shapes and sizes. I suppose I could tinker with a few of them. I will check feeder roots on future hikes. If there are no feeder roots close to the base of the tree, is there not much chance of a successful transplant?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected beech can fool you into thinking they've recovered, when in fact they're pushing growth from reserves. If you collect a beech with few feeders you should probably not do anything to it for a couple of years to ensure it recovers. Then styling beech is slower because they typically only push growth once a year. It's just more frustrating for beginners to do so much waiting.

Some trees will do fine with few feeders. Maple and elm come to mind. Others won't. Don't try conifers if you can't get good roots. Maybe others can suggest things in your area that are the easiest to collect.

Dauber

Seedling
Reaction score
Don't try conifers if you can't get good roots.

Heh, I found some Junipers today, but I didn't take too close a look at the roots. Most of them looked like they were dying, but I think that is because of there is a lot of overgrowth around them. Maybe I'll see if I can transplant one in the spring.
20181230_140335[1].jpg
20181230_140251[1].jpg20181230_132316[1].jpg

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Dauber, did you ever collect any of these trees? I'm curious about your progress. My favorite was the 2nd black birch labeled "neat looking trunk."

Top Bottom