Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
IMG_2590.jpg
IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2605.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg

A little over a year ago I repotted this little guy after a very ill-advised chop (photo 2). So I left it alone for about 14 months now and I want to do what is best for it. It's the only pine I have and I know it has a lot of issues. I was excited to see a lot of good roots popping up so hopefully that will help with this inverse taper. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t think the chop was so bad other than maybe slowin it down. I say give it another year or two of unrestricted growth and then do some carving to address the inverse taper. It’s a long term experiment, but who knows how it turns out?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You need to find a planting angle that minimizes the severe trunk flaws. It might be good to let a sacrifice branch (search here for JBP sacrifice branch) run wild for a few years to correct the trunk before beginning to train it.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You need to find a planting angle that minimizes the severe trunk flaws. It might be good to let a sacrifice branch (search here for JBP sacrifice branch) run wild for a few years to correct the trunk before beginning to train it.

Thanks. That's what the longest branch is. I'm just letting it do its thing for now. Should I look to repot at another angle to support my long term vision for this now, or let it be?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wouldn’t repot it unless you’re having drainage issues.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No, no issues at all. I'm just going to let it be for a while and see how it does throughout this year.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just sharing some photos from today. I was excited to see a lot of new growth showing up on this little guy. Looking forward to letting him grow for another year, then next winter repotting at a better angle and maybe doing some root grafts.

IMG_2920.jpg
IMG_2922.jpg
IMG_2924.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
That reverse taper is pretty bad in my opinion. Maybe some root grafts to the wide part? Or airlayering?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Let it grow wild for a year or two and that trunk should improve. Nice photos in the dappled shade, but hopefully it’s getting all day sun. Looks happy.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Let it grow wild for a year or two and that trunk should improve. Nice photos in the dappled shade, but hopefully it’s getting all day sun. Looks happy.

What should I do about these candles going vertical? I know the time to prune candles is summer, but should I just let them be?

Yeah it gets sun from about 9:30AM to about 5:00PM. Huge oak tree in my backyard providing this shade around 7:30PM.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What should I do about these candles going vertical? I know the time to prune candles is summer, but should I just let them be?

Yeah it gets sun from about 9:30AM to about 5:00PM. Huge oak tree in my backyard providing this shade around 7:30PM.
Yes, just let them be for now.

The time to style is late fall.

Reactions: n8

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just wanted to share a quick update on this little guy. Man, he's been growing like crazy this summer!

Obviously it still has the terrible inverse taper. The plan is still to repot at a better angle next year around February. It's so fun watching this little guy do his thing!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks strong enough, but the needle color makes me think it’s getting too much water.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks strong enough, but the needle color makes me think it’s getting too much water.

It's possible. It sits right next to a really tall foemina juniper that needs much more water, so that may be the case. Watering is tough down here in Texas!

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's been about six months since I last updated on this little guy. He is doing well and continues to grow! I'm thinking of repotting to an angle like the last photo to address the bad trunk flaws. Let me know what you think. Should I just let it be for another year? It has been potted in it's current state for right at two years now.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Inverse taper is a trivial problem, IF, the plans include increasing trunk diameter by 50% or more. Most of the time the tree grows out of reverse taper if you give it time to double diameter of the trunk.

Good to hear. I plan on just letting him be for at least another year.

My other question; in leaving it be and just letting the tree grow, it is getting pretty leggy. Should I de-candle this summer? It have never been de-candled.

Top Bottom