joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all, I recently purchased these 3 Japanese Maples from a local nursery & had two main questions - how could I go about identifying the trees? They have some green foliage as well as some purple and red foliage on them & dark purple stems. My next question is when should I go about repotting these & splitting them into separate pots? I plan to eventually air layer these trees so I don’t waste any bit of my purchase, so should I start my air layering now before I plan a late winter repot?

Attachments

• F55C254F-2B13-4202-BEC0-2EE6074242DE.jpeg
    F55C254F-2B13-4202-BEC0-2EE6074242DE.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 62

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also if it helps I’m located in SATX however Arbor Day says my zip code is Zone 8 as opposed to the rest of San Antonio (Zone 9)

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have to ask, did the nursery not know what variety these are? If they weren't tagged, then surely somebody working there would have known had you asked them before buying

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, they were simply listed as “red Japanese maple” even though right behind these were some labeled as emperor JMs

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to ask, did the nursery not know what variety these are? If they weren't tagged, then surely somebody working there would have known had you asked them before buying
No, they were simply listed as “red Japanese maple” even though right behind these were some labeled as emperor JMs

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look for a graft and then you will at least know if it is a cultivar or seedling grown.
Pictures?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If they were not labelled there is no way of telling which of the thousands of varieties it may be. So many of the existing JM cultivars are so similar even a real expert would be hard pressed to tell some apart.
Japanese Red maple seems to be a catch all name for any JM with red leaves. It could be the tags got lost or misplaced during propagation or they may just be seed grown in which case there is no CV name. All seedlings are just Japanese maples unless you choose to name them and register a new variety.

Interesting there are 3 in a single pot?? That seems unusual for JM so may also point toward seed grown trees.

In Texas you may get away with layering now but most would wait until spring to make best use of the growing surge before summer heat.
Down here I can repot, root prune and layer all in one operation if required - unlike the colder zones that feel they can only do one operation at a time.

joeyorozco10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they were not labelled there is no way of telling which of the thousands of varieties it may be. So many of the existing JM cultivars are so similar even a real expert would be hard pressed to tell some apart.
Japanese Red maple seems to be a catch all name for any JM with red leaves. It could be the tags got lost or misplaced during propagation or they may just be seed grown in which case there is no CV name. All seedlings are just Japanese maples unless you choose to name them and register a new variety.

Interesting there are 3 in a single pot?? That seems unusual for JM so may also point toward seed grown trees.

In Texas you may get away with layering now but most would wait until spring to make best use of the growing surge before summer heat.
Down here I can repot, root prune and layer all in one operation if required - unlike the colder zones that feel they can only do one operation at a time.
After reading the label closer I realized it had “atropurpureum” on the inside flap and not the outside one, so that’s laziness on my part oops lol. But I’ve went ahead and marked w zip ties some air layerings I wanna hold off on till spring, I’m assuming these may be vigorous enough to do a one-operation process as you mentioned at the same time

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If they were labeled as 'Red Japanese Maples' those must have been sitting in the shade somewhere.

Now is not the time to do air layers as JMs are preparing to go dormant.

Top Bottom