Looking for answers?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Microscopic! I love these strange and quirky trees. Been wanting one for a long time. So hoping my first experience with them turns out to be a good one! It sounds to me that I may have a super lazy ginkgo! :p

When you have big chi chis you do what you want when you want. :D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good morning Mrs Gingko. You finally rose from your slumber. You're only three months late to this party! :eek:

It made my day when this morning as I was doing my routine check on all my trees I noticed my gingko just waking up... at the end of July!! It looks to be popping everywhere. This is one of the most bizarre and unexplained events I have ever experienced with a plant. It will clearly get a very short growing season. Not sure what or how it will affect the plant. Hopefully it will go into dormancy again this fall and then reset itself for next year.

It is almost as if its cycle is in reverse from the Southern Hemisphere. In any case, last year Don did not see anything with its growth that would indicate any abnormal behavior.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome! That is one massive gnarly trunk. It's like a mountain.

The only gingko I have is in the landscape so that's about all I have to say :)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good morning Mrs Gingko. You finally rose from your slumber. You're only three months late to this party! :eek:

It made my day when this morning as I was doing my routine check on all my trees I noticed my gingko just waking up... at the end of July!! It looks to be popping everywhere. This is one of the most bizarre and unexplained events I have ever experienced with a plant. It will clearly get a very short growing season. Not sure what or how it will affect the plant. Hopefully it will go into dormancy again this fall and then reset itself for next year.

It is almost as if its cycle is in reverse from the Southern Hemisphere. In any case, last year Don did not see anything with its growth that would indicate any abnormal behavior.

The first year i had my Ginko, acquired it with my son's plants and moved it in March to the Island from the mainland, less than 50 miles as the crow flies and only 700 ft elevation change it sulked for the first year. I thought the main trunk had died. Next season it woke up and the following year after repotting in Kanuma it really began to move.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
LOL perhaps mine is protesting its move to NJ!

I wonder if Osoyoung can give me some sort of reasoning behind this? Absolutely bizarre!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Ginkos grow so strange. I guess its branches dont bend well? I don't know much about this species, but I never see them wired out into your traditional 'tree' shape.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ginkos grow so strange. I guess its branches dont bend well? I don't know much about this species, but I never see them wired out into your traditional 'tree' shape.

Branches are flexible and most certainly can be wired although care must be taken because bark is thin and can be damaged easily. Scars also do not heal well. So large scars on the trunks should be avoided otherwise they will be there forever.

Gingkos are odd, quirky trees having their own particular growth habit and not really suited to be styled in any of the traditional tree-like forms, although now and then you do see some that do approach more typical tree shape designs. One must accept this aspect and go with it. This particular tree is pretty old. However, I consider it more of a raw piece of stock than something more refined or "finished". Next spring if all goes well, I will like to wire it and try and establish a sense of flow and order to its design. Ultimately I think I want it a lot taller and create a flame style bonsai.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's great to see! Here's to that pit in your stomach that you MUST have had every time you were out in the garden over the last few months going away and staying away.

Yes Dave! One of those things I could barely look at every time I'd pass by it. After some time and stopped thinking about it and expected the worst although the tree kept telling me otherwise. There was hope seeing how green is still remained under the bark. Best case I thought it would skip this year and reset itself for the next one. Budding now is quite shocking and not at all what I was expecting!! Not out of the woods yet but at a least very encouraging to see all those buds popping.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you even considering bringing it inside for the winter? I'm guessing (emphasis on guessing) that one winter indoors won't kill it.
CW

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are you even considering bringing it inside for the winter? I'm guessing (emphasis on guessing) that one winter indoors won't kill it.
CW

Yes but I fear it will mess up its cycle even more. My plan is to slowly introduce it to winter temps. Much more slowly than my other trees that get exposed to hard freezes, etc. I will keep it away from hard freezes and give it as much of a growing period as possible to build up its resources. This may mean bringing it in into my unheated storage area in cold fall days and setting it by a window with southern exposure. Eventually it will wind down and go into dormancy once again. Hopefully come spring it will bud normally.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So glad to see this update. I had so been wondering about it. But didn't wish to ask. So this made my day! What a gnarly old specimen . So glad she decided she had enough beauty sleep. A flame style will love seeing you take it there.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m glad it’s doing well. I suspect freeze damage.

I once purchased a JBP during the winter, it arrived in early spring. The seller had allowed it to freeze solid. When I got it, It didn’t grow. No spring candles! At all! The needles stayed green, buds were good, just no movement.

Summer came, and I decandled all my other JBP. And what do you know! When all the othe JBP started pushing out their second flush, that one put out it’s first flush!

Next spring, it acted perfectly normal!

Top Bottom