Looking for Arakawa in Asheville

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just moved to west asheville and I read on here a few years back of a guy named Martin selling arakawas, I am interested in seeing your stock and willing to drive to you if neccessary.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
B.B. barns had some in a 1 gallon pot in Asheville, there were on sale for $20. I don’t know if they have any left or not, there were 6 when I was there Friday.

Reactions: Rid

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, anything @Martin Sweeney sells, I fully endorse. I always thought he was closer to the Charlotte area than Asheville, but I'm not positive. If you can't find any from him or some other Martin, Green Thumb Bonsai in Greenville SC has some smaller ones. If that's out of the question, I'd contact Brent @ EvergreenGardenworks or if you're patient, Mark Comstock on Facebook.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, anything @Martin Sweeney sells, I fully endorse. I always thought he was closer to the Charlotte area than Asheville, but I'm not positive.

I believe he is on the south side of Charlotte. But that isn't too far from Asheville (at least in terms of bonsai road-trips). Also check with @BradNC. @Martin Sweeney and Brad are both lead members of the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas.

Last edited:

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
B.B. barns had some in a 1 gallon pot in Asheville, there were on sale for $20. I don’t know if they have any left or not, there were 6 when I was there Friday.
i scooped one up but am a little unsure if mine was labelled wrong because it looks alot like a coral bark maple

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the blue is arawaka and the red or coral bark, if they one you have is red then yes it is coral bark. I plan on trying some cuttings of my arakawas in a few weeks, if it works I will let you know. BD1B0D2C-13D7-4906-8C30-E72B138FA658.jpeg

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so here is the one i picked up

Attachments

• 20190430_131319.jpg
    20190430_131319.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom