Looking for bigger JBP or atlas Cedars

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody have any leads or info on JBP or Atlas cedars for sale?

Looking for decent size trunks, taller, no shohin. I'll look at trees in all stages of development.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You really need to take a drive up to NEBG. Their website doesnt even come close to the amount of stock they have.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I needed an atlas cedar I would try to get in touch with Jim Gremel. From what I gather he's the man for these.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got a message out to NEBG and am waiting to hear back. They have good stuff, but their pricing is on the high end, even with the membership.

I will have to see about Jim Gremel, last time i remember looking he only had cedars for sale in the 3k range. Thanks!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seem to recall reading somewhere that atlas cedar doesn't do too well in the northeast - but I could be wrong. I don't think I've seen any in the local collections. There were 2 in the National including Gremel's famous cascade. Had seen photos but really spectacular in person.

A possible source for material to consider, if you are on facebook, is the bonsai classifieds group (or the newer bonsai auctions). Some great deals, but as with all sites, some very bad deals as well.

Chris

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don Blackmond and Bill Valavanis ship pines of 1-2+ inch trunk size. I have bought some from each guy and they were shipped safely and promptly. They are "pre-bonsai" and will need some years to look good. I'm happy with them.

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Anybody have any leads or info on JBP or Atlas cedars for sale?

Looking for decent size trunks, taller, no shohin. I'll look at trees in all stages of development.

How big is big? I may have a jbp or two...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Roughly 2 inch trunk thickness, foot or taller. Thanks!

Larix

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Saw some of both at All Shapes Bonsai in Ringoes, NJ. Just off of US 202 south of Flemington. Might be worth a trip.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll second the recommendation for Allshapes. I just picked up about four JBP pre bonsai from Dave. He sometimes puts some curve into the trunks pretty early on as well.

The trunks of the ones I bought are all about 3/4" thick if not 1". I believe mine are 3-4 years old.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Look at ALL your local nurseries, just go and look don't call and ask as they tend to not know all the time what they have. I just found a massive jbp, thick trunk and tons to work with. You may get lucky like I did and at this time of year you could get it for a steal like I did-80$! I posted it in my blog if you want a look see. To bad your not closer I have a few larger cedar too

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Steve at Plant City Bonsai has a dozen freshly dug from the field JBP. 4 inch trunks. Maybe 3 feet tall. These are big trees.

He's potted them in big nursery cans in decent soil.

Www.plantcitybonsai.com.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a message out to NEBG and am waiting to hear back. They have good stuff, but their pricing is on the high end, even with the membership.

I will have to see about Jim Gremel, last time i remember looking he only had cedars for sale in the 3k range. Thanks!

You can say that again...

ed

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Surprised to see this bumped. No longer in the market, found something not too long after starting this thread. Thanks all.

Top Bottom