Looking for bigger Korean Hornbeam stock (pre-bonsai) source.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone know a good source of larger stock (pre-bonsai) korean hornbeam?

I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks!

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Contact Chris Kirk at Telperion farms he has about 20 of them growing in the ground with big trunks.

www.telfarms.com

Ben

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would check at Brussels, who knows what they have in the back!?
The trouble with KH stock, is the fact they grow so slow, and old imports are banned now. So stock is either small or large/expensive. Do look at Bonsai West they have some nice ones. I have a smaller one from wee tree, but it's not large. Email Don Blackmond, and ask if he knows of any, he has a lot of sources in his book.

I just got lucky finding mine.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know bonsai west has some nice ones, but we have quite a few good ones at NE Bonsai as well. There's a couple larger trunks ready to be worked on that I can think of.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys! I contacted the ones you listed and see if I get any response.

Tom, PM sent. :)

Thanks!!!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Dario, just for grins, check out Bonsai West for gorgeous imports.

Now that that is over ;), Greg Blackman has this one listed that looks good:
Korean Hornbeam, 11"x3.5" Mica pot, 2" trunk, 4" base, 7.5" nebari, 15" tall, field grown & dug 5 years ago, ready to be wired again, new apex lead growing out
SALE PRICE $399

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Korean Hornbeam, 11"x3.5" Mica pot, 2" trunk, 4" base, 7.5" nebari, 15" tall, field grown & dug 5 years ago, ready to be wired again, new apex lead growing out
SALE PRICE $399

Hey Chris (and Dario) this is Don Blackmond, at Gregory Beach Bonsai. I have looked at this tree, and it's a very interesting tree. I've been tempted...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chris,
I checked (and drooled) but sadly, all are beyond my budget.

SALE PRICE $399
Tempting. I'll contact Don and see what we can work out. I actually saw this earlier but want to check other sources first & compare.

Thanks!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Chris,
I checked (and drooled) but sadly, all are beyond my budget.

Tempting. I'll contact Don and see what we can work out. I actually saw this earlier but want to check other sources first & compare.

Thanks!

You're very welcome Dario, Good Luck!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Dario... I wonder how well KH will do in your arid environment? ....have you tried any small ones to make sure they will do ok, before investing in something larger? I have several in my collection and they can suffer from the heat of the summer and the ones in containers rarely have any leaves left by fall. And as Judy, pointed out they are really slow to develop...even slower if they are not flourishing. I suspect they will live,but I am just not sure they will thrive enough to be able to ever have a really successful tree. I am told they don't do well in Houston's heat and that area is much more humid than Austin.

Personally, I think cedar and winged elms are both outstanding and under-used material for what we do and will thrive in your climate.

just my thoughts...
John

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
John,

I appreciate your insight. I actually have a smaller one I got about 2 months ago on our club auction and loved the fall color. I have lots of cedar elm but they are nowhere as nice fall color wise. Now that you mentioned it, it was struggling when I got it and I thought it is just because it was root bound (neglected for years by the previous owner who have been ill). I did an emergency repot and found that most of the roots are dead (probably 95%).

I will heed your advise and observe mine for a year before investing on a nicer specimen.

Thanks!!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I wonder how well KH will do in your arid environment? ....have you tried any small ones to make sure they will do ok, before investing in something larger? I have several in my collection and they can suffer from the heat of the summer and the ones in containers rarely have any leaves left by fall. And as Judy, pointed out they are really slow to develop...even slower if they are not flourishing. I suspect they will live,but I am just not sure they will thrive enough to be able to ever have a really successful tree. I am told they don't do well in Houston's heat and that area is much more humid than Austin."

This has been my experience with KH. I had a very nice imported specimen decline and finally die on me two summers ago. I got the tree from Chase Rosade in the early 1990's. It grew ver well the first five years I had it. Only moderately well the next five and it limped along the last five...I have a feeling the increasingly hot summers hereabouts took a gradual toll on it. And FWIW, the hotter the summer, the more likely the tree will look dreadful by August.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This has been my experience with KH. I had a very nice imported specimen decline and finally die on me two summers ago. I got the tree from Chase Rosade in the early 1990's. It grew ver well the first five years I had it. Only moderately well the next five and it limped along the last five...I have a feeling the increasingly hot summers hereabouts took a gradual toll on it. And FWIW, the hotter the summer, the more likely the tree will look dreadful by August.

Thanks rockm...now I really have to re-evaluate my love for it's fall colors. You know how hot it get here (compared where you are). :(

I can have cedar elm for free so might as well stick with it.

Thanks guys!!!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had one in Plano Texas for three years. It does fine. I do have to provide it shade or it will burn up. It's always the first tree to leaf out and the first one to drop it's leaves. There is a big one on eBay right now. It's pretty nice material. Needs a new canopy built.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are correct. Sorry I just remembered seeing hornbeam. Mine is Korean. Does well here if given shade in the hot summer.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I find cedar elm much more compelling and interesting in character and as bonsai than korean hornbeam. Old collected cedar elm trunks generally have more character than KH. Cedar elm reacts to bonsai confinement MUCH more readily and vigorously than Korean hornbeam and although KH can have some spectacular fall color, when it's worn out in the heat, those colors rarely show up. It's also a lot weaker in the roots...

All in all, I've found cedar elm gives more bang for the buck and a heck of a lot more fun to work on. Sometimes the grass is greener...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got you rockm...I am probably taking it for granted (as opposed to be super grateful) because they grow like weeds here and I have access to some. I do appreciate their beauty probably just not as much as I should.

I might collect more Cedar Elm later this month...and hope I can find room in my small backyard to stash them in. Almost a blessing that most of the TX sage I picked up died. (I know...weird right? :rolleyes: ).

Thanks again!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes my leafs never make it for fall color. It also leafs out so early I'm playing the move it in and out of the garage for a few months in the spring. It's fun to see spring early, but also a pain.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It also leafs out so early I'm playing the move it in and out of the garage for a few months in the spring. It's fun to see spring early, but also a pain.

Why? Afraid of late cold snap? If it comes, and the leaves are out...then I will bring them in.

I plan on leaving mine out and let it sprout early. I believe the buds are starting to swell actually. They are half the size of rice grain (about 1/8") when I checked yesterday but might take some time before they actually burst open.

Top Bottom