Looking for Bonsai People in Palm Springs Area

Trojan Phil

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have recently relocated to Palm Desert, CA and am looking for someone/people that are experienced and can help me learn this wonderful hobby.

Local clubs are a hike, and online videos are not very helpful with the kinds if questions I have.

Thank you for your help.

Bonsai On!

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thats a tough area for bonsai. The heat and the wind are legendary. I used to work in Palm Desert, years ago.

Trojan Phil

Sapling
Reaction score
yea. Where we are we don't get the wind issue really badly. The heat is inescapable. Crusing local nurseries for outside plants to use. Found a lovely dwarf myrtle that showed promise, but need a "smarter than me" person for the planning of what next.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm a snowbird and in Palm Desert from December to April. Have spoken with someone there who was able to keep a weeping Japanese maple as a bonsai for 30 years.....before it perished for whatever reason. Lots of options for excellent bonsai material there bougainvillea, portulacaria, ilex vomitoria, Iceberg rose, pomegranate, etc.

Trojan Phil

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses.

Currently I am starting a couple of Mexican/Key lime cuttings, and have a couple Wisteria seedings and a simpaku juniper on the way.

Looking at soil mixes. Thinking I should add more organic so it doesn't dry out so quickly. I see the succulent mixes and they are as good a place as any to start.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom