Looking for collected Junipers

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi I'm wondering if anyone in California has any medium to large sized collected junipers to sell?

- bob

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I know Jim Gremel has a few; http://www.jimgremel.com/bonsaihomepage.html
As well as a some friends of mine here in Santa Rosa. The prices on most of them are very high (1k-6k), but if you are serious it might be worth it. These are mostly collected Sierra Junipers, fairly large specimens. Contact Jim, and he can give you all the contacts you could possibly need.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pretty tough when you live where you do Bob, and have to ask where the good stuff is.:D

Just kidding you Bob, we have some good stuff around here, but in your corner you guys have a candy store, not to mention all those nurseries working out good stock. Good luck with your hunt, get a good one.

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah Bill, you'd think we'd be tripping over the bonsai here, but I'm actually having a bit of trouble.

there are no bonsai shops in my county. I can go up to the SF bay area where there is one, or down to LA where there are a bunch.

But I'd really like to find someone who collects trees and sells them, without the huge jack-up in price that the typical bonsai nursery adds on. I have a hard time paying $4000 for a tree that I know they got for free (not counting the time, effort and know-how to collect it and keep it alive which I grant is valuable and worth compensation for.)

Kinda like what Oregon Bonsai is doing with their collected ponderosas. Really nice, healthy trees with very reasonable prices. Is there anyone doing that with California Junipers?

Or, is there anyone that goes collecting and would be willing to take me along? I've dug alot of "urban yamadori" but have not been out in the wild on a real collecting trip. I would love to learn the ins-and-outs of that from someone with experience (not to mention pick up a few trees.)

- bob

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Or, is there anyone that goes collecting and would be willing to take me along? I've dug alot of "urban yamadori" but have not been out in the wild on a real collecting trip. I would love to learn the ins-and-outs of that from someone with experience (not to mention pick up a few trees.)

- bob

Bob,

You should look into the collecting trips that Lotus Bonsai nursery puts together towards the end of summer/beginning of fall. Scott and Bolet are great people and they offer tons of advice for collecting trees on these trips. I went collecting for Western junipers on their trip last year and it was a great experience not to mention the three nice junipers that I was able to collect as well. If you are not already on their e-mail list I would suggest getting on it soon because the slots fill up very quickly since they only take about 10 people.

Jeff

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Got you Bob, know what you mean, and good the ah ha, I knew someone would post up.

Over the last few years different people have posted about the clubs and others, that go on digs, hopefully as someone with some experiance you will be offered one of those coveted seats on the secret early morning buss to the collecting spot.
Good Luck.

separate note- did you get your critique yet, got mine the other day.

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yeah, I got it. I sure wish i could have gotten face to face feedback, because some of it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

- bob

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I just attended the monthly workshop with Jim Gremel, and took another walk around the collected stock area of his nursery. Some seriously nice trees, most of which I am afraid to ask prices on. Ned Lycett is always looking to sell some of his collected stock, and you can get his number from Jim, or his email from me (just send me a PM). I will be starting an apprenticeship with Jim soon, so I will try to take pictures of some of the stock for you. Good luck on the search!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bob again I know what you mean, I think they were written in the artists native tongue, and Harlod had to get them translated, could be a loss in the translation.

Also at some point I was talking with Phaneuff, and Ceronio and both said to ask them if I had questions about the critique. Let me know if interested and I'll send you mine for a comparison, maybe it'll make more sense that way.

Top Bottom