Looking for ficus advice

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just posted in the misc/other sub-forum about my portulacaria for which I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do with. I'm feeling more confident in my course of action for this ficus, but would still love to hear people's thoughts.

I got this guy about two years ago at the Denver Botanic Garden's bonsai show and sale. I was just getting into the idea of bonsai and was really excited about it at the time, but after following the forum awhile and reading more elsewhere I'm not sure I would have chosen this guy if I had it to do over again. The S-shaped trunk is overly dramatic and artificial for my tastes now, so I'm hoping to find some ways to downplay that feature.

A few weeks ago I repotted the plant in a new soil mixture that is more porous. I was afraid there would be period of acclimatization, but he seemed to like it right away. I was hoping to feature roots more at the base, but the existing roots are a bit of a knotted mess, so I couldn't really expose anything there.

Back to minimizing the S-curve, about a week ago I wrapped the lower trunk with moss to try to promote some aerial roots. I'm also wondering if I should try wrapping around the very base of the trunk to get some roots there.

The canopy is pretty nice so far. I lost a fairly major limb on the back late last year so that area along with a few others I'm trying to fill in a bit. Currently I only have some minor wiring and weights going on, but considering doing a more thorough wire job to direct more limbs into the areas I want filled out more. I just want a more overall oval canopy with a little more reach and the back and sides.
Ficus Back 4-2015.jpg Ficus Top 4-2015.jpg Ficus Front 4-2015.jpg

At any rate, that's my thoughts, but would appreciate advice on how to improve on this guy.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Changing h planting angle so the trunk base doesn't jut straight up out of the soil, may help.

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
Changing h planting angle so the trunk base doesn't jut straight up out of the soil, may help.
I've considered that, but can't imagine another angle that would work all that well. Plus it would place the current canopy really off kilter, requiring a lot of reworking there as well.

As I've been looking at the plant more, I'm starting to consider air layering one of the limbs in the crown. I could then take it off and start it as a new plant, then later use it as an approach graft (or two)on some of the lower parts to the trunk.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You are a long ways from having to worry about where the final canopy will be. Roots and trunk first, then work your way up to the top of the tree. As for the S curve your idea might work, but as fast as these guys grow I would just chop it and regrow. And put it outside in full sun when it is not in danger of temps below 55 deg.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've considered that, but can't imagine another angle that would work all that well. Plus it would place the current canopy really off kilter, requiring a lot of reworking there as well.

Well, if you're wanting to change things, that WILL take some "reworking." Goes with the territory. But it won't need a radical change of angle. As a suggestion, use picture 3 (best front) simply tilt the tree about 5-7 degrees to the right. A little wire may get the top reworked quite easily.

And, also remember that as a tree ages/grows the increased trunk girth tends to soften the bends; and these aren't that drastic, anyway.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have space outside that you can use to grow this during the warm months?

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well, if you're wanting to change things, that WILL take some "reworking." Goes with the territory. But it won't need a radical change of angle. As a suggestion, use picture 3 (best front) simply tilt the tree about 5-7 degrees to the right. A little wire may get the top reworked quite easily.

And, also remember that as a tree ages/grows the increased trunk girth tends to soften the bends; and these aren't that drastic, anyway.

I'll give it some thought. Definitely not beyond doing some work, but definitely imagined more extreme angles. You're right about the front.

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
It's been about a year since an update. My trunk wrap in attempt to stimulate aerial roots didn't work. Recently I've been promoting extra roots on my schefflera ROR with a foil barrier, sphagnum moss, and frequent misting. I decided to try something similar here; it's been about a month and I plan to open it up for the first time soon. I'll let you know how it's going.

Over the past year I did several thinnings of branches, some wiring, and a couple months ago defoliated. Recently I trimmed most of the outer buds hoping to promote some more inner budding to help with density and eventually give me more options in styling the canopy. It's currently on a south facing plant stand getting lots of indirect sunlight supplemented with red/blue leds. You may notice that I've got one long thin branch wired back toward the trunk. I'm hoping that by fall I can use this in an approach graft to add a lower branch.

I've tried a few starts from cuttings of the tree but none have survived.
DSC03447.jpg DSC03448.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I rooted some thicker cuttings... in the summer. Just cut, use R. hormone, put in bonsai soil, water and cover with transparent bag for humidity. It should start growing in few weeks.
...this size, maybe sumo in future:)

Attachments

• Ficus%20retusa%20SUMO%201%202015%2002.jpg
    Ficus%20retusa%20SUMO%201%202015%2002.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had the same S problem with a Walmart ficus so I first tried to promote some roots with a kinda of air-layering thingy like you.
It didn't work out and after awhile, pissed by the lack of progression, I just chop the freaking trunk with a gardening bypass pruner - and not a good one I'm afraid - and plant the top of the tree in a pot after a vigorous brushing with rooting hormone.

This was in May or June or something and at the end of the summer my chopped trunk had rooted :)
All that in a climate zone that must not be better than yours...

PS: I decline all responsibilities in case of sudden death of your own ficus, this is merely the summary of my ficus story ;)

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's been about a year since an update. My trunk wrap in attempt to stimulate aerial roots didn't work. Recently I've been promoting extra roots on my schefflera ROR with a foil barrier, sphagnum moss, and frequent misting. I decided to try something similar here; it's been about a month and I plan to open it up for the first time soon. I'll let you know how it's going.

Over the past year I did several thinnings of branches, some wiring, and a couple months ago defoliated. Recently I trimmed most of the outer buds hoping to promote some more inner budding to help with density and eventually give me more options in styling the canopy. It's currently on a south facing plant stand getting lots of indirect sunlight supplemented with red/blue leds. You may notice that I've got one long thin branch wired back toward the trunk. I'm hoping that by fall I can use this in an approach graft to add a lower branch.

I've tried a few starts from cuttings of the tree but none have survived.
View attachment 102930 View attachment 102931

Have a look at the article by Dr. Hoe Chuah on air layering Chinese elm. You can access it through this link. Working with mall-sai trained with an S curve is a typical problem and in the article Hoe demonstrates a great way to deal with the problem. Maybe it will work for you.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Arial roots are the result of lots of humidity. So a humidity tent or other way of keeping the humidity up should help. I got a couple f benjamina to send some out under plastic and misting often. So that may help if you want aireal roots.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Arial roots are the result of lots of humidity. So a humidity tent or other way of keeping the humidity up should help. I got a couple f benjamina to send some out under plastic and misting often. So that may help if you want aireal roots.

I tried that with mine (some cutting on the branches, rooting hormone application, wrapping a tent around the tree and keeping it constantly moist) and it didn't work out.
Unfortunately it seems to me that aerial roots are most importantly the result of living in freaking Costa Rica, or Florida, or Brazil or wherever you don't risk to get a snowstorm in June!:mad:

But anyway if you try that (carefully) it won't hurt the tree so why not giving it a shot?

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
I unwrapped the base today to see if there was any root production. Unlike my schefflera there was nothing at all. Going to start considering more seriously an air layer or reorientation in the pot.

philart

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok, I took the plunge today and started an air layer on this ficus; I felt like I'd tried all the less invasive approaches to address the 'S'. In the photos you'll see where I cut back the bark, though I cleaned it up a little more before wrapping. I also applied root hormone. Then there's photos of the final wrap. I used a fairly thick plastic because I thought it would be less permeable to air, but because of the curve in the trunk I ended up with more airspace in side than I expected.

The trunk has good contact with the moss, but should I be concerned with this air space. I'd rather not re-wrap if I don't have to, but if I'm risking major issues I'll consider it.

Can any of you say from experience about how long before I'll see roots?20160501_133927.jpg 20160501_133944.jpg 20160501_140628.jpg 20160501_140641.jpg 20160501_140651.jpg

Top Bottom