Looking for info on native (North American) pines

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am planning to start working with pines next year so last week I picked up a copy of the Stone Lantern “Pines” book. I have since read it cover to cover (twice). It gives a very clear concise overview of Japanese white and black pine care and training. I also have “Bonsai from the Wild” which gives some good info on collection and care of ponderosa and pitch pines (and little bit on eastern white pines).

Are there any good books or websites out there on care of native pines? Or is there anyone out there that can comment on how the techniques for Japanese black and white pines can be translated to native pines.

I plan to start with Japanese black pines but ultimately would like to work with native species.

-Josef

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I think it is worthwhile to check out some of the threads here on this subject. In addition, Ryan Neil has a a video or two on the techniques used. He works with more native material, so I think his lecture is worthwhile. To give you a really general approach, most people classify pines as either single flush, or double(multiple) flush growth. White pine is your single flush. Red/black is your double flush. Once you determine what pine you have, you can apply a variation of one of those techniques. Some pines blur the lines a bit, like scots pines, but for the most part you are either decandling, or pinching candles before they elongate/cutting back after foilage hardens off. Like I said, look for those videos, and check out Michael Hagedorn's blog.

Patrick

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For a native pine for you, you can't go wrong with Pitch pine, P. Rigida. Heat, cold AND drought tolerant and they grow well in pots and back bud on old wood. Lenz's book is a great source of info for P. Rigida as well as other native pines. I'd follow the advice there.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it is worthwhile to check out some of the threads here on this subject. In addition, Ryan Neil has a a video or two on the techniques used. He works with more native material, so I think his lecture is worthwhile. To give you a really general approach, most people classify pines as either single flush, or double(multiple) flush growth. White pine is your single flush. Red/black is your double flush. Once you determine what pine you have, you can apply a variation of one of those techniques. Some pines blur the lines a bit, like scots pines, but for the most part you are either decandling, or pinching candles before they elongate/cutting back after foilage hardens off. Like I said, look for those videos, and check out Michael Hagedorn's blog.

Patrick

I’ve watched Ryan’s videos a few times. They are one of the best overviews of pine care I’ve found. I visited Ryan last summer. I wish now that I had picked his brain more when I had the chance. But considering he let a complete stranger into his garden based on nothing more than a couple of emails I didn’t want to impose too much.

For a native pine for you, you can't go wrong with Pitch pine, P. Rigida. Heat, cold AND drought tolerant and they grow well in pots and back bud on old wood. Lenz's book is a great source of info for P. Rigida as well as other native pines. I'd follow the advice there.

Nick Lenz's book is what made me fall in love with pitch pine. One of the big reasons I like pitch pines is that they are native to my area. There are a few growing on ledges near where I live that I may try to get permission to collect in a few years.

Are pitch pines considered a single flush pine? The care that Nick recommends appears to be similar to that of Japanese white pine. I think I remember reading some place that they will produce a second flush of growth but not as reliably as black pine.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The good stuff is out West, stuff that will make you drool.[/url]

I agree. Unfortunately I’m stuck on the east coast. That limits the number of species that I can collect nearby. Pitch pine seems like it has the most promise. I’ve scoped out a few sites that I am going to try to secure permission to collect.

Is there anyone working with American red pine, Pinus resinosa? I’ve done some searches but have not come up with much. I would imagine that it is similar to eastern white pine in that small stunted trees are just not easy to come by.

Top Bottom