Looking for Input on Ginseng Ficus

Mike Flavin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking for Input on my Ginseng Ficus! Any ideas on how it can be shaped better or trimmed etc. are welcome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 50

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok Mike I am going to jump in with both feet. First, welcome to the site! Second, ginseng ficus are really hard material to work with to create convincing bonsai - because they get large tuberous roots that swell over time until they look something like this:

ficus_ginseng_root_634563792136691770_1.jpg

I have yet to meet a plant I did not like... but ginseng ficus could be on that list :)

They are often sold in stores because they are easy to reproduce, easy to grow, and easy to import. However that does not always make them the best material for bonsai. The first thing I would recommend is to get it as healthy and strong as possible. Right now it appears very wet - almost as if it is standing in water. One thing that these trees are susceptible to is root rot, so make sure the roots are not sitting in soggy or wet soil that can't breathe.

Do you have the option to take this tree outside, once it gets warmer in Chicago? You will be able to get it much stronger, much faster, if it can spend the summers outdoors in the nice humid Chicago weather.

Right now the tree is small and kind of weak. If you can keep it outdoors in the summer, I would wait until early summer and get it out of that small, deep pot, and into a broader shallower pot with good bonsai soil. Once it recovers from being transplanted it will start to throw out strong branch growth and hopefully new branches, and you will be able to start thinking about design above the soil line.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

Welcome to Crazy!

The head Nut is out in Cali now, but used to have good pizza, beefs, etc, when he lived here!

So sound advice on the humidity!

I can't get one of these to grow normally in anything! It does look to be a bit wet. (Like a beef)

However, we are being catered to (also like beefs) and should take advantage of the opportunity. ....

http://bonsainut.com/index.php?thre...ees-now-avaialble-at-hidden-gardens-in.18423/

If you have not been, I recommend a trip.

Good luck with your ginseng! It does have a nicer shape than most.

Sorce

Mike Flavin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the replies!

I can move it outside and was planning on it once the temperature at night gets above 60. The plant appears wet because I had misted it just prior to taking the photo. I do have it sitting on rocks in a humidity tray to help keep the humidity high in a rather dry apartment. It does have access currently from an East and South window (I have a corner unit with both E + S windows right next to each other) How much broader of a pot would you recommend?

Also glad you guys love Chicago food. I work at a pizza place (Beggars Pizza). Actually the only reason I haven't moved from chicago is due to the fact I'd miss the food way too much hah.

Mike

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah!

I put one ficus Benjamin out after the 50 low has passed. Which still looks like midMayish, according to Innacuweather!

I recommend once in fall and once out spring. Some do the dance, I don't have time for that. AND NEVER LOSE LEAVES.

Which is pretty crucial in what is now our 5 month growing season!

The Age of Aquarius has come to Chicago in Ice.

I can't say much more specific to ginseng, cuz mine grows black leaves and keeeeeps living. The only one I have now belongs to my child, or it would have been tossed with the others!

Get an Elm if you can keep it out all year!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also glad you guys love Chicago food. I work at a pizza place (Beggars Pizza). Actually the only reason I haven't moved from chicago is due to the fact I'd miss the food way too much hah.

My wife and I were just talking about the total lack of good pizza in Southern California.

Reaction score
Ficus-Ficus_Microcarpa-Ficus_Ginseng-Ficus_Bonsai.jpg 75198.jpeg I know it is not Chicago Pizza, but Abbot Kinney Pizza in Venice California, always had the best pizza for me... perhaps I am a bit partial though, cause I did live less than a block away.

Side note, I have mentioned this before, but for some reason it never becomes understood, that alot of gingsing Ficus in Asia are grown specifically for the fact that they can put on enormous growth in a relatively short amount of time. Arial roots are then allowed to grow over them, or are grafted over them, and in a short amount of time one obtains a very nice trunk.

I have a small shohin, that I just this past year started some work on... it was another gift from a charitable individual who thought I should have it before it dies. .. I will see if I can get some pics

Reaction score
gingseng1b.jpg genseng2b.jpg
Sorry, not the best photos, just went outside and took some and it is currently dark...

Got this beginning of last year, where as I said it was in bad shape. I repotted it, and for the rest of the year I just let it go.
It obviously had been severely deprived, and enjoyed the change, cause it took off. It also in the process started almost right from the start sending out tons of Ariel roots. Just this past month, I chopped the trunk, and brought the branches down.

As you can tell from the pic with the scissors, the tree is less than 9 inches tall. I imagine that by the time I have done some work on the canopy that the overall height will only be around 11".

Attachments

• gingseng1.jpg
    gingseng1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom