looking for input on Vine Maple

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Every fall up in the mountains, I am overwhelmed by the beautiful colors of the native maples.
Who has used them as bonsai subjects and what can you tell me? I'm bound and determine to pick up one or two small ones to begin working on them.....

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you know Michael Hagedorn? He's been using them for several years. And Greg Brenden is using them too,... I think he's the president of the Portland Bonsai Society.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Know michael but not the other. So if i get a chance to talk to either I shall. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully we'll have someone here on BN that can start me off.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Know michael but not the other. So if i get a chance to talk to either I shall. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully we'll have someone here on BN that can start me off.

I would put a shout out to Greg on this forum. I see him on line here almost daily. He goes by Greg Brendon.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've always been interested in Vine Maple as bonsai with all the time I've spent in the Pacific Northwest. I think the fact that they are a native species, have terrific fall color and wonderful leaves make them a inticing subject. Although, they do have their faults in bonsai, apparently. I've read that the leaves don't reduce all that well and the internodes tend to be long. So you'd probably have to have a large specimen in order to end up with a convincing result.

Herb Gustafson discusses them numerous times in his book, The Bonsai Workshop http://www.amazon.com/The-Bonsai-Workshop-Garden-Variety/dp/B00B9ZIJKS (an excellent beginner book BTW).

Also, Grouper52 (AKA Will Hiltz) posted one he had been working on a while back http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8102-Vine-Maple-The-Third-Yardadori

Keep us posted if you ended up with one. I for one would be very interested. :)

Cory

Reaction score

Thanks for putting in the link Dan :cool: Dick messaged me and will chat with him tomorrow. Please visit my blog via the link above to see the entire post about my vine maples if you already haven't. While some of the flaws Cory noted are true for some vine maples, I have noticed there is a lot of variation from one tree to the next and suspect there is hybridization going on as I've found some individuals with very short inter-nodes and pretty small leaves. You can defoliate them but the leaves don't seem to reduce in the same way a trident would. And they aren't as vigorous a grower as Japanese Mountain maple. I would have to say their greatest appeal are the trunks that have great features and movement--the kinds of things nursery grown maples simply don't have. And there are plenty of them out there...but you have to do a lot of looking to find the best ones.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have noticed there is a lot of variation from one tree to the next and suspect there is hybridization going on as I've found some individuals with very short inter-nodes and pretty small leaves.

Interesting stuff, Greg. Which maples do you think they might be hybridizing with? If they are hybridizing with Big Leaf Maple then certainly that would result in larger leaves. I can't think of another maple native to the Northwest (there is a Rocky Mountain Maple but I'm not sure you have it up there). Otherwise, could they hybridizing with cultivated maples (e.g. Japanese Maple)? Perhaps it is simply a case of genetic variability (phenotypic plasticity) within the the species.

In know that Oak trees hybridize rampantly so it is often difficult to tell with any certainty which species you are dealing with. With oaks, however, there are numerous species native to this region so there is a lot of room for variability.

Cory

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dick,

Got your PM.

Here's this guy from my old thread, as he looks tonight. Stands about 14" above the soil at his highest.

As the roots confine and I kept cutting back and partially defoliating over the past several years, you can see the internodes shortening and the leaves reducing to an almost acceptable degree. Shows promise as a long term project, IMHO, especially if confined further into a proper size pot.

This tree (and any other I have) is available for sale if you or anyone else who wants to come over some time, check it/them out in person, and haggle the price with me. :) I've decided not to ship any of them, but anyone with a vehicle and the gumption to drive a ways for a tree is welcome to contact me by PM.

G52/Will

Attachments

• VineMaple.jpg
    VineMaple.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 110

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Will, are you leaving the hobby? If so, what a loss to us all. Wish I lived closer ;)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, are you leaving the hobby? If so, what a loss to us all. Wish I lived closer ;)

Thanks for your kind words, fore.

I'm not officially leaving the hobby, but there came a time when my remaining time and abilities suggested a gradual cutting back. I had, and I've still got, more trees and starter material than I could make use of.

I've sold a number of finished trees, and given away to a local club member a fair amount of starter material, in the past year. Still got lots left, though.

It's an interesting phenomenon to be in my sixties, to see the end in sight, and to think about those of my trees which may outlive me, and yet which, too, will certainly not outlive me for long in the grand scheme of things. Anicca.

G52

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I'm not officially leaving the hobby, but there came a time when my remaining time and abilities suggested a gradual cutting back. I had, and I've still got, more trees and starter material than I could make use of.

I've sold a number of finished trees, and given away to a local club member a fair amount of starter material, in the past year. Still got lots left, though.

It's an interesting phenomenon to be in my sixties, to see the end in sight, and to think about those of my trees which may outlive me, and yet which, too, will certainly not outlive me for long in the grand scheme of things. Anicca.

G52

Will, this makes me sad. Don't think about things like the end in sight. I know it is easier said than done. Your trees are amazing and awe inspiring to say the least. Your input on this site was unique and of the highest caliber. It seems like we are loosing our Washington connections. I mean, Miss Vic isn't around very much, Eric isn't around at all and now you. I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby. Even if it is on a smaller scale.

Rob

fore

Omono
Reaction score

G52

I understand totally. We are here for just a brief time for sure. And even at 52, when I want a particular tree, I have to question myself if it's possible to have the design/finished tree within a 'reasonable' amount of time for me to even enjoy it. I've learned that life is fragile the hard way. Maybe the permanence of growing trees reassures me somehow?

Best of luck with your trees Will, and enjoy your life and whatever trees you decide to keep, I'm sure those will be most special for you! ;) And besides...sixties are now the new 50's lol

Chris

(Could you email me at forehaven@yahoo.com when you get the chance? Thanks!)

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, this makes me sad. Don't think about things like the end in sight. I know it is easier said than done. Your trees are amazing and awe inspiring to say the least. Your input on this site was unique and of the highest caliber. It seems like we are loosing our Washington connections. I mean, Miss Vic isn't around very much, Eric isn't around at all and now you. I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby. Even if it is on a smaller scale.

Rob

Rob, thanks for your kind words about my trees and my past input here.

There is nothing sad in this. I have, for decades now, practiced Tibetan Buddhism. To understand even the basic Sutra teachings is to know that this is not sad.

It is said, in fact, that meditating single-pointedly on the inevitability (and unpredictability) of our own death - a classic Buddhist meditation - leaves a greater impact on our motivation to do something meaningful with our lives than any other subject. I have found this to be true, and not sad at all.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Well my collection is 3 vine maples to the good. I did two singular plantings and one clump.
So I'll have an opportunity to learn by doing if all survive. I do have an appointment to visit Will
and see his collection, which I'm very much looking forward to. I also have another scheduled yamadori effort next tuesday. Tis that time of year....

Zaelthus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob, thanks for your kind words about my trees and my past input here.

There is nothing sad in this. I have, for decades now, practiced Tibetan Buddhism. To understand even the basic Sutra teachings is to know that this is not sad.

It is said, in fact, that meditating single-pointedly on the inevitability (and unpredictability) of our own death - a classic Buddhist meditation - leaves a greater impact on our motivation to do something meaningful with our lives than any other subject. I have found this to be true, and not sad at all.

Well said, but by the same token is not also true that this is the case no matter what our age may be?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well said, but by the same token is not also true that this is the case no matter what our age may be?

Exactly. That's the unpredictability that I mentioned. Inevitable AND unpredictable.

To realize that completely, to its core, in all its depths, brings things sharply into focus.

The southern Buddhists say this meditation is like the elephant: it leaves the deepest footprint of any animal in the jungle.

Sorry to those who don't like heavy subjects. It may not be appropriate here.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dick, I'd love to see some pictures when you get a chance! Did you go Tuesday?

Top Bottom