Looking for Itoigawa Specimen

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got a ton of Photos from Chris and or Lisa at Telperion AND MY GOD they have some amazing beasts of shimpaku. I'm really interested in some of these so I might just need to put on my CSI enhacement goggles and figure out which of them I like the most.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've had a few from the west coast, so hard water seems reasonable. Would you think it's merely mineral deposits? Or something deeper in the tree's tissue which manifests itself as extremely light colored bark?

These same trees in my care have moved to a somewhat muted grey/brown.
I think it’s mineral deposits that will come off over time, either by exfoliating or watering. Mine has gotten a little more brown in the last 11 months or so.
7497A79B-3E3D-4AD3-AC3D-EC373D77CC3A.jpeg73B5ECF2-49EA-4E66-ABBF-2ACA9DC08736.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got a ton of Photos from Chris and or Lisa at Telperion AND MY GOD they have some amazing beasts of shimpaku. I'm really interested in some of these so I might just need to put on my CSI enhacement goggles and figure out which of them I like the most.
PM me if you want any suggestions as you’re looking through them. Happy to help.

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
PM me if you want any suggestions as you’re looking through them. Happy to help.

Awesome thanks Brian. Lisa is going to get me more pictures of specific ones if I can limit it down. With smaller ones I can see the basic branching and trunk lines and get an idea of what I can do with it but with some of these guys it's really not that easy with 2d pictures and all of the foliage.

Ideally I want something I can work with towards a single trunk with deadwood but so many of these massive trunk beasts have so many additional Inch think branches I'm not even sure it would be possible to deal with all of the chops it would require. I'm guessing I'll need to work with something younger to make that happen.

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Waiting on an email back from Telperion but I did he’s back from Emily Ishii. She showed me some awesome trees but I’m not really feeling the cost for something grafted. 2500 For an grafted Itoigawa is fine if it’s a nice tree, I just don’t think I could spend that much for a grafted one unless it was something super gnarly looking

Top Bottom