Looking for JWP

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking for Japanese white pine saplings can't seem to find any for sale in the US . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck. The seeds have been very hard to source since the pandemic screwed with literally everything, and they require a long, often multi year stratification... and... they grow uber slow. I was able to grab 2 seedlings from my friend Matt Ouwinga 6 weeks ago and at 4 inches tall, they are 3-4 years old!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought 5 JWP seedlings in February. Haven’t seen any in stock anywhere since then. I did notice that Johnsteen’s has some JBP inventory right now, but no JWP.

Sorry guys, I guess I bought all the JWP. 🤷‍♂️

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought 5 JWP seedlings in February. Haven’t seen any in stock anywhere since then. I did notice that Johnsteen’s has some JBP inventory right now, but no JWP.

Sorry guys, I guess I bought all the JWP. 🤷‍♂️
How are they? How old / large?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No seedlings here but the "Arakawa cuttings" taken Jan 30 are showing promise. so far buds extended and the needles are beginning to open on most. Too soon for a victory dance but trending in the right direction.
Awesome, best of luck getting them to root. I've never researched it and wasn't aware cuttings were possible. Have you previously had any success?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome, best of luck getting them to root. I've never researched it and wasn't aware cuttings were possible. Have you previously had any success?
Not at all, this is my first attempt with JWP. I am experimenting and applying some principles that allowed me to do well with some other difficult species. My understanding is that they are difficult enough that very few successes have been reported. I am hoping that I am successful with a few as some cultivars are difficult to obtain on their own roots.

Reaction score
Not at all, this is my first attempt with JWP. I am experimenting and applying some principles that allowed me to do well with some other difficult species. My understanding is that they are difficult enough that very few successes have been reported. I am hoping that I am successful with a few as some cultivars are difficult to obtain on their own roots.
Good luck I wish you the best. Once my parent plants get established I want to start makings cuttings of JBP and JWP corkies. The lack of JWP seedlings around is very sad. I want to put several dozen in the ground but have no source.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 426195
Here’s one of them potted up in some downspout tubing from Home Despot. (I’m aiming to make an exposed root semi-cascade style tree.)
Sadly, this JWP seedling did not survive. I'm trying the same kind of planting but with a different species of pine seedling now.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No seedlings here but the "Arakawa cuttings" taken Jan 30 are showing promise. so far buds extended and the needles are beginning to open on most. Too soon for a victory dance but trending in the right direction.
Update, as of today 5 out of 44 Arakawa cuttings survived to produce new growth long enough to produce some roots. All the rest slowly used up reserves and although they callused, they did not root! Not a very high success rate. The survivors were of similar thickness, tending towards 3/8 in diameter and five inch length, for this attempt I left 10 groups of needles on the top, stripped the rest. Clonex gel and crosscut on the bottom. small size pumice and akadama mix for medium. Heat pad and indoor lighting until new growth showed signs of extending and hardening off. The ones that failed showed bud and candle extension but the new needles did not develop before they expired. For my next attempt I will be more selective with cutting size to ensure more reserves, I think I will also extend the cold period for the cuttings to develop the callus further prior to planting. Will try a variation of 8 and 12 weeks for the cold storage to see if it makes a difference in the success rate. In this first attempt I used 6 weeks for cold storage of the cuttings to induce callus. The five survivors are now outside for the past month and continuing to look healthy in the new needles.
I am expecting slow development this season with faster and more growth next year if they survive over winter. Will keep them frost free for the first winter.

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sadly, this JWP seedling did not survive. I'm trying the same kind of planting but with a different species of pine seedling now.
That is an awesome idea, you may be onto something. I wonder if maybe a species that matures a bit quicker might be the answer.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is an awesome idea, you may be onto something. I wonder if maybe a species that matures a bit quicker might be the answer.
I would've done it with another JWP if I had one available. I suspect the answer is that it would've worked better if the JWP seedling was a little older with more root mass to work with or, alternately, a first year JWP seedling with its roots still in the peat plug so you could transplant it whole without disturbing the roots at all (just put the plug in and surround it with akadama, pumice, lava). The latter is what I did the second time around, albeit with a different pine species since I didn't have any more JWP seedlings available. I started a bunch of JBP, JRP, and Foxtail pines from seed this year. Without looking at it, I don't recall which kind I put in this particular container for the 2nd try.

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would've done it with another JWP if I had one available. I suspect the answer is that it would've worked better if the JWP seedling was a little older with more root mass to work with or, alternately, a first year JWP seedling with its roots still in the peat plug so you could transplant it whole without disturbing the roots at all (just put the plug in and surround it with akadama, pumice, lava). The latter is what I did the second time around, albeit with a different pine species since I didn't have any more JWP seedlings available. I started a bunch of JBP, JRP, and Foxtail pines from seed this year. Without looking at it, I don't recall which kind I put in this particular container for the 2nd try.
Yes, that sounds about right to me..either way, i believe you've inspired to ty something..good luck with future endevors.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, that sounds about right to me..either way, i believe you've inspired to ty something..good luck with future endevors.
By the way, in case you're curious (since it's not easy to tell from the photo), my solution for holding the substrate in the tube despite the endpoint being horizontal with the soil column above being pushed down by gravity was to use an endcap made of plastic canvas. I got the kind of plastic canvas that is circular (it's sold that way for people to make beverage coasters), although the rectangular grid kind would've worked too (just would've needed to be cut to shape). I cut a hole in the center and threaded the seedling's foliage through the hole. I used a hole punch to put holes in the plastic tubing and then used zip ties through the holes to attach the plastic canvas endcap. Back-filled with a bit of akadama, pumice, and lava to provide a hospitable environment for the roots to get started, then back-filled most of the tube with pea gravel. I cut an opening at the highest point of the tube to allow for watering the substrate inside the tube and put some more akadama, pumice, and lava as a top dressing on the opening to give it a little better moisture retention to compensate for being open to the air. Down in the pond basket is more akadama, pumice, and lava. The tube is quite heavy once filled with substrate, so I have some 2.5 mm aluminum wire wrapped around the tubing and secured to the side of the pond basket to provide additional support. Inside the pond basket, underneath the surface, there is more aluminum wire going through holes in the tubing to secure that end of the tube to the pond basket.

Reaction score
Update, as of today 5 out of 44 Arakawa cuttings survived to produce new growth long enough to produce some roots. All the rest slowly used up reserves and although they callused, they did not root! Not a very high success rate. The survivors were of similar thickness, tending towards 3/8 in diameter and five inch length, for this attempt I left 10 groups of needles on the top, stripped the rest. Clonex gel and crosscut on the bottom. small size pumice and akadama mix for medium. Heat pad and indoor lighting until new growth showed signs of extending and hardening off. The ones that failed showed bud and candle extension but the new needles did not develop before they expired. For my next attempt I will be more selective with cutting size to ensure more reserves, I think I will also extend the cold period for the cuttings to develop the callus further prior to planting. Will try a variation of 8 and 12 weeks for the cold storage to see if it makes a difference in the success rate. In this first attempt I used 6 weeks for cold storage of the cuttings to induce callus. The five survivors are now outside for the past month and continuing to look healthy in the new needles.
I am expecting slow development this season with faster and more growth next year if they survive over winter. Will keep them frost free for the first winter.
I have been researching pine cuttings and came across this paper in using eastern white pines and perhaps it may be of use to you. I know species react differently with cuttings but this paper identified June as the best month for success with eastern white pines. I am curious to how this may work with some of the species we use with bonsai and am getting my setup ready to start experimenting. It seems like there is lots of information out there and success is variable depending on so many factors.
Glad you are experimenting and sharing the results. Good luck

Haxor Dave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I still haven't found any JWP I've got a native time at my friend's house I'm leaveing in the ground since that's where it grew to thicken up and do what nature says to do

Top Bottom