Looking for Kikuwa bonsai jack WTB

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am looking for this Kikuwa bonsai jack. Does anyone know a local vendor for this?

http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=1606
wb1013_jack.jpg

I have a lead on a Japanese vendor but would prefer local if available.

Thank you. :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have been looking for the same one, and sometimes Dallas Bonsai has it; sometimes California Bonsai Studios has one similar, if not the same.

I will (hesitantly) say this. A couple months ago I bought one from Stone Lantern's site. What I received was nothing close to the quality of what was pictured. In fairness, I received a full refund and they told me not to send back the jack. However, given the quality of the product, I have no intention to use it on a tree big enough to necessitate its use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 105

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Brian.

I've seen the Stone Lantern jack and I tried to convince myself to buy it but can't (thankful now). I just cannot see the quality in it. That jack is no longer carried by SL anyway.

I am looking for this particular brand (Kikuwa) and if I can't find it here, I might get it via the Japanese vendor or Kaizen bonsai.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking for the same one, and sometimes Dallas Bonsai has it; sometimes California Bonsai Studios has one similar, if not the same.

I will (hesitantly) say this. A couple months ago I bought one from Stone Lantern's site. What I received was nothing close to the quality of what was pictured. In fairness, I received a full refund and they told me not to send back the jack. However, given the quality of the product, I have no intention to use it on a tree big enough to necessitate its use.

Same with me. Thankfully I bought it during one of the big sales coupled with the mark down. Don't buy that piece of crap.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I bought one from California B. in 2012. Surprised you guys can't find one here. I'm still wanting to get a couple of those awesome Masakuni branch benders.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought one from California B. in 2012. Surprised you guys can't find one here. I'm still wanting to get a couple of those awesome Masakuni branch benders.

Thanks, I sent an inquiry to California Bonsai Studio.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Same with me. Thankfully I bought it during one of the big sales coupled with the mark down. Don't buy that piece of crap.
Unfortunately, that has been the quality if the last three items I purchased there; a root hook, a draw knife carving tool, and now this. Good news, none was overpriced, bad news, I got what I paid for.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unfortunately, that has been the quality if the last three items I purchased there; a root hook, a draw knife carving tool, and now this. Good news, none was overpriced, bad news, I got what I paid for.

I got my mini draw knife (Flexcut) from them and it is good. I also got a good Japanese bonsai saw from them. Love it enough to plan on buying a backup actually.

I think they carry some gems as well.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can't help you with the Kikuwa jack, but I have a Volkswagon bonsai jack in the back of my car...

kikua.jpg

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

I bought the bonsai aesthetics grafting knife as a filler to top up a gift certificate I had. Total garbage. Came totally dull, impossible to get properly sharp and doesn't hold an edge anyway.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
FWIW this is what I use. I have a masakuni jack somewhere and this one has bent stuff as big or bigger then anything I bent with the masakuni. The one slight drawback is that it isn't as easily placed because it has a somewhat different profile, that being said I've nevr not been able to use it. The best part is that it's 30 something dollars not almost 200 or whatever the masakuni is now. I've used it on Junipers and Pine as big as the big end of a baseball bat. More then the jack I think the key to those bends is preparing the branch first with raffia, wire, tape or whatever one uses. If that isn't right the best jack in the world isn't going to help.

file_zps14d3cb0c.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can't help you with the Kikuwa jack, but I have a Volkswagon bonsai jack in the back of my car...

LOL...nice! I might ask to borrow that jack one day. Kidding aside, I've used my car jack to bend/move one boxwood trunk, I wouldn't have been able to make it budge otherwise.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FWIW this is what I use. I have a masakuni jack somewhere and this one has bent stuff as big or bigger then anything I bent with the masakuni. The one slight drawback is that it isn't as easily placed because it has a somewhat different profile, that being said I've nevr not been able to use it. The best part is that it's 30 something dollars not almost 200 or whatever the masakuni is now. I've used it on Junipers and Pine as big as the big end of a baseball bat. More then the jack I think the key to those bends is preparing the branch first with raffia, wire, tape or whatever one uses. If that isn't right the best jack in the world isn't going to help.
Bob,

I used similar but there are applications that it won't work as well due to "access" problems. :) Thanks for the great reminder about proper prep work. :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yeah, the Stone Lantern tools aren't all that great. I did buy an extra large concave cutter a while back from them that has held up, but I've been less than impressed with other things from there. As you say though, you get what you pay for.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I bought one today as I needed it during a workshop with Mauro Stemburger. Call Vicky at House of Bonsai in Lakewood California. 562-804-6888. Te medium size is 70, the large is 80 I think. The medium would work for most things that's what I bought for a large tree I was bending a 5 inch trunk on. I'm sure she can give you the sizes if you call. Worked perfectly its all steel.

Top Bottom