Looking for Limber Pine

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know of a source for limber pines (pins flexilus) in the Calgary, Alberta area or any growers who ship same within or to Canada?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinus flexilis. Done an internet search yet? A nursery here suggested search "Pinus flexilis price" to ferret out seller. Took me many months but finally found seller for rare tree with this and various other searches, emails and phone calls. Also after hearing "no" always ask if they know anyone that may help. Do you have "native plant" nursery anywhere near? Doing small internet search have found tree native near you to west(Rockies). Perhaps could get collecting permit? Unless needing larger tree may need to get seedling from Forest Service nursery. If willing to grow out tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinus flexilis. Done an internet search yet? A nursery here suggested search "Pinus flexilis price" to ferret out seller. Took me many months but finally found seller for rare tree with this and various other searches, emails and phone calls. Also after hearing "no" always ask if they know anyone that may help. Do you have "native plant" nursery anywhere near? Doing small internet search have found tree native near you to west(Rockies). Perhaps could get collecting permit? Unless needing larger tree may need to get seedling from Forest Service nursery. If willing to grow out tree.
Thankyou for your suggestions. I've collected many different species in the foothills over the years but Limber Pine and the related Whitebark Pine are both considered 'endangered species' here in Alberta (pine beetles and white pine rust have had a heavy impact on them) so I would never disturb a wild growing tree to add it to my collection, even if it was allowed. I do know of one local nursery that has sold them as seedlings in the past but they haven't been able to obtain any seeds for several years because they have become so rare. That's why I came back here to ask if anyone had suggestions I hadn't already tried.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thankyou for your suggestions. I've collected many different species in the foothills over the years but Limber Pine and the related Whitebark Pine are both considered 'endangered species' here in Alberta (pine beetles and white pine rust have had a heavy impact on them) so I would never disturb a wild growing tree to add it to my collection, even if it was allowed. I do know of one local nursery that has sold them as seedlings in the past but they haven't been able to obtain any seeds for several years because they have become so rare. That's why I came back here to ask if anyone had suggestions I hadn't already tried.
Only one possible suggestion perhaps:confused:. An Ag import permit was easy and cheap (or free) to get here and once had one. If you could get one you could import from here. A nursery here has both Limber and WB small trees available fairly often.

Last edited:

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only one possible suggestion perhaps:confused:. An Ag import permit was easy and cheap (or free) to get here and once had one. If you could get one you could import from here. A nursery here has both Limber and WB small trees available fairly often.
I'll look into the import permit idea, thanx. I know Ag Canada can be kind of ridiculous about some species, requiring they be bare rooted and fumigated and then sometimes leaving things sit with the customs brokers for weeks so everything is dead by the time you actually receive them. All you get then is bills and no trees.

Do you have the contact info for that nursery? And are they used to shipping cross border? It can be a huge benefit to go with someone who knows all the latest ins and outs to get through the border quickly.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I purchased flexilis seeds from Sheffield’s seeds in 2020 and now have a few seedlings going, not sure if they can ship to Canada.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maybe check with Derek Delisi, CanadaBonsai.com - he has seeds, and is in western Canada. He imports things from Japan, and if he doesn't have it, he may know how to get it.
I have a few Western White Pine, but that's as close as I get.
Steve Varland (see instagram Profile) is a collector in Wyoming who digs limbers, but I doubt he ships to Canada.
Sheffield's does have the seed in stock.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A couple of local nurseries have a limber pine cultivar “Vanderwolf’s Pyramid” (sp?) listed. Not sure if they have any in stock. I could keep an eye peeled next time I visit them.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of local nurseries have a limber pine cultivar “Vanderwolf’s Pyramid” (sp?) listed. Not sure if they have any in stock. I could keep an eye peeled next time I visit them.
Saw several of these searching. Did not pass on as only original tree is personally worthy as flexilis and seems most nurseries only sell "cultivar" instead of real thing.

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw several of these searching. Did not pass on as only original tree is personally worthy as flexilis and seems most nurseries only sell "cultivar" instead of real thing.
Yes, as I understand it 'Vanderwolf' is a hybrid cross with another species (pinus strobus?) and is only cold hardy to zone 4 which would make it 'iffy' as to surviving here as I have no green house or cold frame in which to over winter it. I do limit myself to native or at least zone 3 hardy trees for this reason and have only lost trees to my ham handed butchery of them as opposed to winter kill.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All of the Vanderwolf Pyramid I’ve seen have been (poorly) grafted for landscape trees.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Several months later..........Any fortune finding your tree(s)?

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was at a nursery the other day that had them but I’m in the US. Did you have any luck?

Top Bottom