looking for many pinus species

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Im looking for pines, speciffically cork bark JBP, JBP, and pitch pine. Im looking for any affordable trees. I cant find cork bark JBP anywhere, so if you have any it would be great. i am also looking for JWP, but not as hard as the others. If anyone has any information, or trees for sale, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mike.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, what's "Affordable?" Cork bark black pine is always at a premium, as it takes quite a few years to develop the corky bark...You won't find seedlings with much "cork" on them...

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Realy anything under 200. I would also love it if anyone could find loblolly pine. And im looking for the cork bark variety of jbp, not just an older tree. It doesn't have to be corky yet.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can get a few cork bark varieties on Brent Walston's site--as well as a wide variety of black, red adn white japanese pines. The best cork varieties have a waiting list, but he has some grafted trees for $65 or so. He does have some specimen sized Hachi glen trees for about $200...

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pinus.htm

No one is growing pinus taeda (Loblolly pine) for bonsai purposes. Best bet there is to look for forestry suppliers. You can probably get a bundle of seedlings for under $30. If you want larger stock, try a local nursery, or start with a wild dug tree -- that's where the handful of people growing Loblolly do.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And The usual question would be where do you live, since you haven't put that on your profile? If you are looking for some good starter stock or specimen trees its always worth going to your local Shows or to your local Bonsai club where the Bonsai community can point you in the right direction.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
i live in NE pennsylvania. ive tried just about every bonsai nursery in my area, the only thing i could really find were extremely expensive JBP, and seedling pitch pine at jim doyles Natures Way. i didnt think they were for sale so i didnt even bother asking.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya never know til you ask...

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
they were tagged as workshop trees.

and besides evergreen gardenworks, does anyone have any more ideas?

Reaction score
MC,

Give Chikugo-en a call, they have small regular BP, Cork & Awaji. If you're not familiar with Awaji pines, they develop the turtle bark and nobody that I know of sells this variety. If you want Mikawa Pines, which develop a nice bark, call George Muranaka - both nurseries ship anywere in the country. If you buy anything from any of them, it's mandatory that you post the pics here on Bonsainut.

Chikugo-en
18110 South Western Avenue
Gardena, CA 90248-3626
(310) 323-4011

Muranaka Bonsai
419 Pajaro Ln
Nipomo, CA 93444
(805) 929-4818

Good luck.

JC

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Check Don's eBay website, he has several listed, fair prices, and Don's a great seller:
http://shop.ebay.com/dyedb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Thanks, ive seen him before on ebay but i never really trusted ebay sellers. Ill take a good look. He has great feedback so ill trust him. The trees he has look good, but ill wait for the right one.

MC,

Give Chikugo-en a call, they have small regular BP, Cork & Awaji. If you're not familiar with Awaji pines, they develop the turtle bark and nobody that I know of sells this variety. If you want Mikawa Pines, which develop a nice bark, call George Muranaka - both nurseries ship anywere in the country. If you buy anything from any of them, it's mandatory that you post the pics here on Bonsainut.

Chikugo-en
18110 South Western Avenue
Gardena, CA 90248-3626
(310) 323-4011

Muranaka Bonsai
419 Pajaro Ln
Nipomo, CA 93444
(805) 929-4818

Good luck.

JC

I will give both of them a call. Do you have their emails too? We may have trouble over the phone because i have a horribly thick accent. I've heard great things about both of them in the past. Could you post a picture of the Awaji bark? Ive never heard of it before until now. Ive seen the turtle shell bark but always thought it was just lucky genetics, not really a specific cultivar.

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MC,

Give Chikugo-en a call, they have small regular BP, Cork & Awaji.
Dont think youll touch much here for 2 bills, sure fun to try though

Chikugo-en

Attachments

• 10022010042.jpg
    10022010042.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 79

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
wow.... i want to go here..... STUPID OKLAHOMA....... lol

Reaction score
Dont think youll touch much here for 2 bills, sure fun to try though

Chikugo-en

Rock my good man,

There's something for everybody. They have starters for around $30 all the way up to material in the tens of thousands, pick you poison. I talked to Gary (Chikugo-en) on Friday and he said he just finished up candle pruning the Awaji's. I'm going down, hopefully this week, to pick up a few more Awaji's and if you ask nicely, I'll shoot you a few pics.

JC

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Rock my good man,

There's something for everybody. They have starters for around $30 all the way up to material in the tens of thousands, pick you poison. I talked to Gary (Chikugo-en) on Friday and he said he just finished up candle pruning the Awaji's. I'm going down, hopefully this week, to pick up a few more Awaji's and if you ask nicely, I'll shoot you a few pics.

JC

Please post some! I would love to see them. And if you could please post some pictures of the trees in my range too. I plan on calling them around Friday once i get my paycheck. Im also thinking about buying a tree from Ne bonsai, but i need to see the Awaji bark before i do it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
'Brocade' from Evergreen Gardenworks

I debated starting a new thread on this one, but didn't, since it's only growing out in a terra cotta pot right now and hasn't had any training work done. Maybe in a few years.

This is a corkbark JBP, 'Brocade' from Evergreen Gardenworks. (www.evergreengardenworks.com)

The first image is how it looked when it arrived in 1/09, as a 3-year old graft.

The second & third shots are how it looks now, after 3 more growing seasons.

It's 15" tall, and the trunk is approaching 2" in diameter at the soil level. Brent has a waiting list for 'Brocade', but 'Hayabusa' may be the same cultivar.

Attachments

• Brocade 09 (0).jpg
    Brocade 09 (0).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 62
  • SAM_0948.jpg
    SAM_0948.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 59
  • SAM_0945.jpg
    SAM_0945.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom