Looking for pot suggestions, stickroot custom!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Stickroot was awesome enough to offer up a pot and rake for the fall contest and I was lucky enough to win it. This is very good for me. He's allowed me to start a thread to help with design and sizing.
I'm pretty clueless myself, something that seems close to the right size has been about the only criteria I've gone by so far.
This is a tree I'd like to have a nice pot for. I've been thinking I'd lift it in spring to inspect roots anyways. If it all looks good I probably don't want to disturb the rootball just yet but if it will go into a nicer pot easily that would be great. Doesn't have to be perfectly positioned just yet. image.jpgimage.jpg
I'm thinking something around the same size without the flare and a little bit deeper. But as I said, pretty clueless here so any input would be high appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Random User

Reaction score
Are you going to enter it into major a bonsai show?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you going to enter it into major a bonsai show?

Unlikely in the near future! Not planning on hosting one in SK are you?

Could say I'd like to get it to the point where it could be submitted I guess.
Why, got something different in mind that wouldn't be accepted?

Random User

Reaction score
lol... you seem to understand my thinking already...

Given your location, I'd go find a rusty discarded gear off of some old logging or mining equipment, grind the guts out of it, and drill and tap holes in the bottom edge... then bolt on a false base of wood... when the wood rots, replace it again... but a gear big enough for that tree might weigh a bit... :p

That tree looks "rustic", I'd go with something that would give a major bonsai judge nightmares for weeks... but thats just me.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol... you seem to understand my thinking already...

Given your location, I'd go find a rusty discarded gear off of some old logging or mining equipment, grind the guts out of it, and drill and tap holes in the bottom edge... then bolt on a false base of wood... when the wood rots, replace it again... but a gear big enough for that tree might weigh a bit... :p

That tree looks "rustic", I'd go with something that would give a major bonsai judge nightmares for weeks... but thats just me.

Ha, ok, old mining town here I can find that stuff.
But I've got a willing potter here so probably not for this one. I'll probably wait for input on sizing etc here and let stickroot surprise me.
If we don't hear from anyone else I may get a rusty gear and a plank of wood in the mail now!

Random User

Reaction score
"If we don't hear from anyone else I may get a rusty gear and a plank of wood in the mail now!"

The only thing stopping me from sending one is the shipping...

As a "pot", I'm thinking dark and oval... little to no sheen, with a lightly textured finish...

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha, ok, old mining town here I can find that stuff.
But I've got a willing potter here so probably not for this one. I'll probably wait for input on sizing etc here and let stickroot surprise me.
If we don't hear from anyone else I may get a rusty gear and a plank of wood in the mail now!
I have an OLD wood bevel gear that was a model for sand casting the steel ones... It is about the size, but would have to be modified a bit. I'll post pics soon.

Random User

Reaction score
Ohhhh!... gimme! lol

Do a photoshop mock up with that gear and your tree...

... ain't bonsai the cats ass for justifying the neglect of the imperative, in favour of elevating a pastime to an obsession?... I have all winter now to think of "bonsai" and gardening stuff, but my dishes sit unwashed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow!

I would never have thought this would be going down 2 months ago!

@Stickroot ...... This is great!

@wireme ..... Wicked dope tree for the pot. Something about it just seems right.

I have no input.....but....
Great friggin choice!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How's this going? No more talk?

We should at least eliminate a lame idea or 2!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This tree is a bit of a conundrum to me as far as picking a traditional pot...it has wonderful deadwood- which says "masculine", but a rather thin and sinuous trunk- which says "feminine". I'd say unglazed and brown are a given, but the shape? This one would probable look good in multiple different pots, but I'd shoot for a rectangle with soft corners, or maybe even a round pot...but, i still love this tree!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is a bit of a conundrum to me as far as picking a traditional pot...it has wonderful deadwood- which says "masculine", but a rather thin and sinuous trunk- which says "feminine". I'd say unglazed and brown are a given, but the shape? This one would probable look good in multiple different pots, but I'd shoot for a rectangle with soft corners, or maybe even a round pot...but, i still love this tree!

Ah, thanks Dave, that's the stuff I was looking for. What do you think size wise and depth wise compared to what it's in now?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, thanks Dave, that's the stuff I was looking for. What do you think size wise and depth wise compared to what it's in now?
I'm thinking about the same width, but maybe a little shallower. The current pot isn't too far off, really...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
current pot isn't too far off, really...

I agree...

If I remember correctly, I've seen a Stickroot pot before, that has the rustic charm this one could use.

How about a pot that morphs into a slab.
Kinda breaking midway and thinning out, with some really fem pot side characteristics but a lot of jagged edges.

Like a union of 2 "eras".

Sorce

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
are you gonna change much on the tree or keep it like it is. that could influence the pot choice.
i would go for a rectangle with very sharp edges and visible feet, the pot its in now is not bad but as a whole it looks a little, mm im not sure how to describe it but "too boyscout nice" might come close..
then again i quite like sharp eged pots so i may be biased.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This tree has a thickish trunk and looks fairly masculine, and will probably become more so over time. I would stick with a rectangular pot, but get rid of the bowed sides. And I would seriously consider one of @Stickroot's steel pots. Check out @Vin's post again: And Now For Something Completely Different..

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
are you gonna change much on the tree or keep it like it is. that could influence the pot choice.
i would go for a rectangle with very sharp edges and visible feet, the pot its in now is not bad but as a whole it looks a little, mm im not sure how to describe it but "too boyscout nice" might come close..
then again i quite like sharp eged pots so i may be biased.

Yeah, I don't want to change it much. I mean I do but the overall feel will be similar and even the outline will be close too. I don't know much about the pot its in other than it was real cheap and hasn't broken yet.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And deepish as well... maybe some texture, but nothing overpowering, let the tree speak!

Deepish eh?

I've always felt it could be a wee bit deeper than the current pot but Dave said it was good as is or go even shallower. You think a bit deeper is good?

Top Bottom