Looking for reputable online seller for Large pre-bonsai material

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since I don’t have the patience I’m looking to order larger pre-bonsai material, $400-$500 rage. Do you know a good vendor that sells larger material?
These are two I can across so far. D&E quoted me $65 per inch caliper for trident $75 for black pine and Stewartia mpnadelpha.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would check Nature's Way - Jim Doyle, Harrisburg PA

His shop is about 220 miles from Richmond VA, so a healthy 3 hour drive depending on traffic, but Jim has been selling bonsai for over 20 years and handles pre-bonsai and more developed trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I don’t have the patience I’m looking to order larger pre-bonsai material, $400-$500 rage. Do you know a good vendor that sells larger material?
These are two I can across so far. D&E quoted me $65 per inch caliper for trident $75 for black pine and Stewartia mpnadelpha.

FWIW, the links you gave for Green Thumb and Driftwood are pretty overpriced for what's being offered, IMO. Those tridents are just big telephone poles with leaves. Not much going other than diameter...those black pines are just subpar...

All this depends on what you're looking for. You looking for collected trees, or more traditional species?

Collected trees come in larger sizes for less $$ compared to more traditional species, like black pine and stewartia (and BTW, really sizeable Stewartia --4+ inches in diameter--aren't all that common and can be a lot more than $500 for a good one).

If you want collected stock Zach Smith at Bonsai South is excellent and sells medium to huge bald cypress (in-season--he sells out quickly). He can also source other larger trees if you talk to him.

Jim Doyle at Nature's Way has already been mentioned. I have driven up there a few times from N. Va. It's worth the trip. He has extremely nice stock and trees--sometimes has some awesome collected western conifers.

Chase Rosade is another great bonsai place in New Hope, PA. Chase is getting on in years, but his nursery is a vibrant place with A LOT of trees and pots. Bob Mahler, one of Chase's students also has a relatively new bonsai nursery (called Kifu Bonsai) near New Hope in East Greenville, PA.

If you're set on online or catalog ordering you might inquire at some California nurseries as well. I know a few folks who have sourced excellent Stewartia, black pine and seiju elm from out there

Also local clubs have auctions where spending $500 will probably get you a $1000 tree. It's worth checking websites and joining Facebook sites for clubs in Richmond, as well as N. Va. The Potomac Bonsai Association joint auction was last month, I think. It's traditionally up in Beltsville, MD, which is about a two and half hour drive for you (maybe less).

IMO staying at home and trying to find substantial stock that's worth the $$ online is a futile pastime and will result in overspending for underperforming stock.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happened to @johng ain't he down there?

"Futile Pastime"...yes.

Sorce

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
FWIW, the links you gave for Green Thumb and Driftwood are pretty overpriced for what's being offered, IMO. Those tridents are just big telephone poles with leaves. Not much going other than diameter...those black pines are just subpar...

All this depends on what you're looking for. You looking for collected trees, or more traditional species?

Collected trees come in larger sizes for less $$ compared to more traditional species, like black pine and stewartia (and BTW, really sizeable Stewartia --4+ inches in diameter--aren't all that common and can be a lot more than $500 for a good one).

If you want collected stock Zach Smith at Bonsai South is excellent and sells medium to huge bald cypress (in-season--he sells out quickly). He can also source other larger trees if you talk to him.

Jim Doyle at Nature's Way has already been mentioned. I have driven up there a few times from N. Va. It's worth the trip. He has extremely nice stock and trees--sometimes has some awesome collected western conifers.

Chase Rosade is another great bonsai place in New Hope, PA. Chase is getting on in years, but his nursery is a vibrant place with A LOT of trees and pots. Bob Mahler, one of Chase's students also has a relatively new bonsai nursery (called Kifu Bonsai) near New Hope in East Greenville, PA.

If you're set on online or catalog ordering you might inquire at some California nurseries as well. I know a few folks who have sourced excellent Stewartia, black pine and seiju elm from out there

Also local clubs have auctions where spending $500 will probably get you a $1000 tree. It's worth checking websites and joining Facebook sites for clubs in Richmond, as well as N. Va. The Potomac Bonsai Association joint auction was last month, I think. It's traditionally up in Beltsville, MD, which is about a two and half hour drive for you (maybe less).

IMO staying at home and trying to find substantial stock that's worth the $$ online is a futile pastime and will result in overspending for underperforming stock.
And!! If you come to Kifu , just say you’re from BNut so I can introduce myself!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have an interest in yamadori, you should be able to find something in that range from Andy Smith (Golden Arrow Bonsai). I’ve bought from him before and was happy with what I received and how it was packed for shipment.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would check Nature's Way - Jim Doyle, Harrisburg PA

His shop is about 220 miles from Richmond VA, so a healthy 3 hour drive depending on traffic, but Jim has been selling bonsai for over 20 years and handles pre-bonsai and more developed trees.
Jim's place is exactly 3hrs from me and I'm in Southern Maryland.

He has a lot of trees, but a lot of them are tagged. I would call before you make the drive up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didnt see too much large stock there, but his trees are nice and well kept. I bought an old engelmanns spruce from him.

Top Bottom