Looking for Sagebrush

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A seller on eBay had a few for sale, but I was always outbid at the very last seconds. The pictures I saw made for some very interesting bonsai. Loads of gnarled and twisting deadwood. If anyone has some for sale please let me know. Thanks!

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know where you could harvest some, but my family doesn't own the land anymore and you'd have to go to Colorado to get it. My dad never stopped complaining about how all he could grow was sagebrush and cactus, and mom never stopped telling him all he could really grow was rocks. Ahh, the good ole days.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I have that particular seller saved as well. His material is always interesting with twisted trunks, but I highly doubt the branches wire well (brittle) and the foliage may also be unreliable with occasional dieback. I'm basing this on experience with Rosemary, which make some great trees but have the problems mentioned. Keep in mind that shipping plant material into California is ILLEGAL unless the material is inspected and has actual papers.

You may want to try collecting old rosemary bushes. Ask some relatives, friends, or neighbors if you could dig a tree and replace it with a younger, "nicer" one. There are about 2 dozen spectacular ones down the street from my girlfriend's house I've been eyeing for a while. They get twisted trunks and deadwood easily, and make great literati.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It is important to specify what "sagebrush" you are talking about. As there are many plants that have that common name. I know that there is a pretty nice thread here at the nut house if you search on one type of wild sage. It has been a few years but I remember it.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is important to specify what "sagebrush" you are talking about. As there are many plants that have that common name. I know that there is a pretty nice thread here at the nut house if you search on one type of wild sage. It has been a few years but I remember it.

Agreed.

Is it by any chance related to TX Sage?

If so...check some of mine here ;)
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...ophyllum-frutescens)-transplant-survival-rate

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
You might also look at some general nurseries. Around here they sell Texas sage which looks identical to the wild sage I've seen but the flowers are pink instread of white

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw some today at a local nursery, but they were way too small for bonsai. Skinny pencil-thin trunks. :(

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Randy Knight of Oregon Bonsai collects and sells sagebrush along with his Rocky Mt. Junipers and Ponderosa Pines.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Randy Knight of Oregon Bonsai collects and sells sagebrush along with his Rocky Mt. Junipers and Ponderosa Pines.

Could you give me a link to his website? I've tried googling his name, but I seem to be bombarded with bonsai blog sites.:p

Top Bottom