Looking for Small red lava rock . . .

RedRav

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fellow Bonsai Enthusiasts ~
Had a large collection and was concentrating on Satsuki‘s. Divorced and had to sell it all last year and I’m now in the Portland area living with only a large 2nd story deck. 🤨 Have a small Satsuki left in need of a repot. Am looking for small red lava rock, just a small bag.
Can anyone direct me to where I can obtain lava rock in the Portland Metro area? Thanks for any help.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I had to buy medium lava from Depot and crush myself. Others can surely guide you.
I have a hard time paying for shipping for pounds of “rock” ;)

RedRav

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I went to Depot and was told I’d have to sieve my own rock, which I have done in the past. Could not bring all my equipment ~ bonsai tools & some pots had to come but the sieving stuff got left behind. Have a verrry small deck space to work now. 🤨

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe aquarium stores? Everybody on the internet seems to be aquascaping nowadays, and lava rock is a popular substrate for that.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Try a local rock yard. I've been able to find 1/4 inch lava at more than a few down here in the South bay, not that it helps you much but I'm betting that if you call a few in your area you will be able to find some. I picked up a 40 lb sack for $4 a few years back at Mountain View Garden Center.

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
to buy medium lava from Depot
These suppliers use red dyes that washes away and you have the natural brown or gray/black colour left.

Am looking for small red lava rock
Not sure what particle size you're looking for, but bonsai jack.com has 1/4" size sieved and pretty dust free.
Shipping cost is built into the price you see.
...please read their description as follows...

Maroon aka Red. NOTES: Bright red lava no longer exists. Some bags of bright red lava can be found at big box stores. These bags often contain brown lava rock that has been dyed. This Dye may affect your plants and wildlife. This can be verified by washing a bag in your drive and checking for red concrete stains. You hear stories of people installing red lava that mysteriously turns brown after one season because the dye rinses away over time. All of our products are natural and have not been dyed. We crush our own lava. This is the true test of color. If the inside and outside colors match we know its natural.
2 quarts $14.92 shipped. Could always get a bigger bag a screen for the smaller particles, but it is pretty uniform really.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might check with ODOT. It's what they spread on the roads when it gets icy. I'm in the Rogue Valley and I don't see it used in the inland valleys, but just a little bit east, in the western foothills of the Cascades there's hugh piles, some red, some black and in the spring you can sweep it up off the side of the road.

Ralph

Seed
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Bonsai Enthusiasts ~
Had a large collection and was concentrating on Satsuki‘s. Divorced and had to sell it all last year and I’m now in the Portland area living with only a large 2nd story deck. 🤨 Have a small Satsuki left in need of a repot. Am looking for small red lava rock, just a small bag.
Can anyone direct me to where I can obtain lava rock in the Portland Metro area? Thanks for any help.
I purchase my soil amendments from "Bonsai Jack" he has many types. He also has free shipping. https://www.bonsaijack.com/

Top Bottom