Looking for Soil Components In NC

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You do realize that Akadama is supposed to break down, don’t you?
Yes, but not within the first few months after planting. Maybe they got a bad batch that had not been properly fired. I have read of some akadama that behaves like a cheap grade of kitty litter and others that are more like kiln fired clay and holds up a lot longer even under multiple freeze thaw cycles.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The akadama topic has been beat to death. There is an excellent article on bonsai empire that asked the question of 5 experts and their responses concerning using akadama. You can find it here To akadama or not . It proves that opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and no two are alike!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bonsai Jack seems reasonable. I have the 10% off coupon if needed. With coupon, 5 gallons for 50 bucks includes shipping.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I get my bulk pumice from a local hydroponics store in Asheville. Look for similar stores out there. I also use hadite called Vole Bloc that I get at a local nursery. For my organic component I use Nature’s Helper from Lowes.
Would you mind letting me know where you go? I venture down there as much as possible and need to pick some up myself. PM if you don't want to share it here. Thanks!!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would you mind letting me know where you go? I venture down there as much as possible and need to pick some up myself. PM if you don't want to share it here. Thanks!!
Fifth Seaon Gardening on Tunnel Rd across from the mall.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The Vole Bloc is made over near Charlotte so you should be able to find a local nursery that has it
It's also sold under the name Permatill by the same company. It's the same product as volebloc only used for adding drainage when planting in hard soils.

Just thought I'd add that in case anybody sees this product rather than Volebloc.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I certainly know it does and should, but not at the rate I experienced. Granted, I think it was OK when mixed, but when solely akadama was used The trees didn’t perform well and the soil was pretty bad at that point. I have pictures somewhere, I’ll have to see if I can find them.

But! That’s why I’m trying to find some again and give it another shot. I’d like to find a different brand this time however.
I’ve had good luck with “Double Red Line”.

Or “Clay King”. But I add a 25% portion of additional pumice to Clay King.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For those of you looking for pumice and Permatil (Vole Block) in NC, I went over to the Fifth Season Gardening store on Tunnel Rd in Asheville today to pick up the pumice they were holding for me. Bad news is I got the last 2 bags. Good news is the manager promised to order more right away. So if you plan to go there call first to see if the shipment has arrived. I also asked about whether the other stores carry it and he wasn’t sure but said they can order it from the distributor he buys from. Just have the store manager call him for info if they don’t know where to get it. Also noticed that they are now stocking the 40 lb bags of Permatil and I picked up one of those. So I am now set for the spring repot and collecting season once I sift this stuff.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Being in SwVa, Asheville is likely my closest stop for anything bonsai related. I love the ability to shop online, but I want to hold it in my hand and get a feel for it before I order online. Looks like a fun weekend trip down for some treeing and prep. Thanks for the heads up...Now I can drag my pals to the shops after we hit our concerts!!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bonsai Jack seems reasonable. I have the 10% off coupon if needed. With coupon, 5 gallons for 50 bucks includes shipping.
I think he runs a great business, really high quality products, but I purchased and used his inorganic mix last year and didn’t see great results IMo. But, that just comes down to individual climates and such. Had I added like composted pine bark or something organic it would probably have been much better, or just used his organic mix in the first place. Just my experience. It’s all very clean stuff though, he even sent really cool stainless steel reporting chopsticks with the spolb

Top Bottom