Looking for Soil Components In NC

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Kind of frustrated looking for soil components online, also don’t want to get screwed again cost wise. Anyone have Boon’s mix or separate soil components (akadama, pumice, lava) in this area, or know of a cheap place to get it online? I’m in the Wilmington NC area, or Southern Pines NC area but may be able to drive wherever it is if I have the time. I don’t need a lot, but wouldn’t mind stocking up if it’s more of a bulk amount.

Thanks!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I get my bulk pumice from a local hydroponics store in Asheville. Look for similar stores out there. I also use hadite called Vole Bloc that I get at a local nursery. For my organic component I use Nature’s Helper from Lowes.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I get my bulk pumice from a local hydroponics store in Asheville. Look for similar stores out there. I also use hadite called Vole Bloc that I get at a local nursery. For my organic component I use Nature’s Helper from Lowes.
I’ll have to see what I can find, I’ve never heard of hydroponics stores before. Also hadn’t heard of the Vile bloc stuff, I’ll definitely check that out thanks

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Kind of frustrated looking for soil components online, also don’t want to get screwed again cost wise. Anyone have Boon’s mix or separate soil components (akadama, pumice, lava) in this area, or know of a cheap place to get it online? I’m in the Wilmington NC area, or Southern Pines NC area but may be able to drive wherever it is if I have the time. I don’t need a lot, but wouldn’t mind stocking up if it’s more of a bulk amount.

Thanks!

A list of places to try is in the last section of my resource. https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/inorganic-soil-reference-sheet.28/

On the east coast, try beam clay for lava rock.

S

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The store I buy my bagged pumice from is Fifth Season Gardening. They have a store in Greensboro and one in Carboro which isn’t all that far from Southern Pines. I’d give them a call and see what they have in stock. I just checked my store and they have a couple bags on hand here. Even if they don’t stock it they probably can order a bag for you. They also have stuff like biochar and coconut coir. The Vole Bloc is made over near Charlotte so you should be able to find a local nursery that has it. It is commonly used for preventing voles from eating bulbs, etc. Have you asked the folks at the Cape Fear Bonsai Society where they source soil components?

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I timed out on the edits. For $16 you get a bag of pumice about the same size as a bag of mulch from Lowes. I sift it to pass a 1/4” screen and then also 1/8” and keep the 1/8-14” fraction. There isn’t a lot of waste. I need a couple bags right away for collecting wisteria and yews this spring.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cofga you must be the reason I’m only getting one bag at a time at fifth season, quit buying it all up lol. I tried finding the stalite at Jesse and Israel but they said they don’t carry it, have you had this problem lately?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Thanks!
“Getting screwed” implies you were taken advantage of, and paid more for your components than they are worth, or than others would reasonably expect to pay. It is unfortunate if this happened. If you are experiencing some sticker shock because many components are simply expensive when shipped to your front door, there isn’t much most people will do for you. I once worked with a contractor who used to say, “cheap, right, or fast; you can pick two.”

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
“Getting screwed” implies you were taken advantage of, and paid more for your components than they are worth, or than others would reasonably expect to pay. It is unfortunate if this happened. If you are experiencing some sticker shock because many components are simply expensive when shipped to your front door, there isn’t much most people will do for you. I once worked with a contractor who used to say, “cheap, right, or fast; you can pick two.”
Yeah I suppose it’s more of a “I screwed myself” type situation due to only needing a relatively small quantity combined with the materials themselves are expensive. Nonetheless, trying to make it not so bad this time if I can

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
If akadama cost the same in Japan as it does here, they would only use it in finished trees.

Pumice at Lowe’s?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Cofga you must be the reason I’m only getting one bag at a time at fifth season, quit buying it all up lol. I tried finding the stalite at Jesse and Israel but they said they don’t carry it, have you had this problem lately?
I bought a big bag there last summer and they had a stack of them outside the front door. BB Barnes also sells it but I think they only have the small bags.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok maybe I should have drove by instead of calling, plus it was near winter so maybe they didn’t have any in at the time.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Try The Bonsai Learning Center. They’re just north of Charlotte. They should have everything you need.

Most of the cost of the soil is the shipping.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Try The Bonsai Learning Center. They’re just north of Charlotte. They should have everything you need.

Most of the cost of the soil is the shipping.
I would be careful with their mix, they use acadama. I have one planting that I did there as part of a workshop and the acadama is already turning to mush making watering difficult to judge. I plan to replace the soil as soon as possible.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would be careful with their mix, they use acadama. I have one planting that I did there as part of a workshop and the acadama is already turning to mush making watering difficult to judge. I plan to replace the soil as soon as possible.
I’ve also noticed akadama does NOT hold up even a year or two here, but I assumed it was simply because I bought the wrong brand that wasn’t fired.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm trying to judge interest on bringing in a pallet of soil supplies for my study group. Not sure Clemson/Greenville SC's worth the drive for you though. (Also, not completely its going to happen this spring.)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You do realize that Akadama is supposed to break down, don’t you?
I certainly know it does and should, but not at the rate I experienced. Granted, I think it was OK when mixed, but when solely akadama was used The trees didn’t perform well and the soil was pretty bad at that point. I have pictures somewhere, I’ll have to see if I can find them.

But! That’s why I’m trying to find some again and give it another shot. I’d like to find a different brand this time however.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm trying to judge interest on bringing in a pallet of soil supplies for my study group. Not sure Clemson/Greenville SC's worth the drive for you though. (Also, not completely its going to happen this spring.)
Unfortunately that’s a little too far, perhaps if I had a reason to be down that way it would work But I don’t foresee that. Good luck, though, hope you can find people to split it with

Top Bottom