Looking for some future tips.

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

i am pretty new to bonsai, so after some time of looking through all available websites i picked up a Juniperus procumbens nana, ilex crenata and a atropurpureum (havent dont work on the elm yet, trying to figure out what the best is going to be).

I wired the nana en the ilex as seen in the pictures, while the nana worked out pretty fine and looks pretty cool the ilex has been pretty hard to get a decent shape. Anyone have any tips on how to be re approaching the ilex or is it more like whats done is done give it a year and figure out what to do at that point ?

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 11.28.14.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 11.58.42.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You miiiiight wanna take the wire off, it's quite dangerous applied in that fashion, since one wrong move can break 2 branches and half the tree!

Sorce

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to Crazy!

You miiiiight wanna take the wire off, it's quite dangerous applied in that fashion, since one wrong move can break 2 branches and half the tree!

Sorce

thanks !

on the ilex? cause i am not working on it anymore at the moment. But do i still need to remove them ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Accidents happen.
I guess I am only assuming that wire is as stiff as it looks.
But if it takes a fall, or a bump (!), Or a bird, it seems the outcome could be terrible.

There are 2 schools. Appropriate Wiring. And Use whatever if it works. I am of both. But there are many many benefits to wiring correctly, safety of tree is a large important one!

I reckon you'll be happy for the practice and outcome.

Sorce

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ahh ok, the wires arent that stiff, they are rather thin but have a big protection layer the wires are 2,5mil and 1,5mil.
But if it could be a problem when placed outdoors then i will remove them. dont want them to suffer major injuries..

as for the question when it would be the right time to try it agian on the ilex, you have any tips for that ??

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Bonsai Empire species guide on crenata recommends spring through summer for wiring. :)

I hope this proves helpful.

Top Bottom