Looking for some guidance in Kansas

Garret k

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I'm very new to Bonsai. I have 3 plants (Gifted, or store bought.) I Love to take care of them, however, it's just not enough. What I would like to do is go into the woods and collect my own tree/s and try to raise/train my own. I am in search of guidance of what would be the best tree for me that is local to Kansas. Some native trees here are, Maples, Walnut, Red Cedar (don't see many,) Willows, Oaks, and other types of Juniper relatives. I kind of like leaf trees better, but am not opposed to conifers. My dream project would be some sort of multi tree forest type of bonsai (this seems very hard.) Also I know that getting a tree from the wild will take years to develop, that's exactly what I want.

What I am after
1. A kind of starter tree to work with
2. Something I can get locally (I don't want to buy a 20-30$ tree to end up killing it)
3. What size of a tree should I chose? A sapling? or more developed 2+ inch base?
4. Are there any good guides that show you what to do when training a tree from wild? I cannot seem to find anything that goes in depth on this subject
5. Any other suggestions on a project that I could start?

Thanks in advance for the help, so far this community feels awesome just from lurking in the forums and the couple of posts I've made so far

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4. Are there any good guides that show you what to do when training a tree from wild? I cannot seem to find anything that goes in depth on this subject

Bonsai4me.com

Google Walter Pall youtube videos. Watch em all.

Google Mirai live....watch em all.

Google Bjorn or Bonsai art of Japan....
Grab some snacks...watch em all.

Every tree is different so you gotta piece together info from here and there.

A search of collecting here should net you some good info.

We got a good gang of successful collectors.

If you're up for long term projects....

Just tag one of each for spring digging and get to honing your shovel blade!

Sorce

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Alot to answer there!

First, where in the state, West, Central, East?
It makes a difference on the type of tree you'll find. Second, how much space do you have?

Depending on those answers and remembering my experience at that stage, my advice is anything cheap or bargain bin from box store or nurseries. I needed just to learn how to grow woody plants in containers.

Then get permission to dig eastern red cedars (J. virginania), most farmers will pay you to dig them. They will probably all die, be straight crappy bonsai, and randomly lose branches. But you will learn how to collect material and then if you want you can go to Colorado and dig or buy a proper yamadori.

Also Siberian elms are plentiful, just look along fence lines. They are naturalized.

Another naturalized tree is the Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera). They were hedge row trees during the '30s. Amazing bright orange wood, super rot resistant, and related to mulberry and figs. I think they have the potential to be a great American bonsai tree. Jim Smith @jkl (R.I.P.) had a great one.

Rock Chalk!

Garret k

Seedling
Reaction score
Bonsai4me.com

Google Walter Pall youtube videos. Watch em all.

Google Mirai live....watch em all.

Google Bjorn or Bonsai art of Japan....
Grab some snacks...watch em all.

Every tree is different so you gotta piece together info from here and there.

A search of collecting here should net you some good info.

We got a good gang of successful collectors.

If you're up for long term projects....

Just tag one of each for spring digging and get to honing your shovel blade!

Sorce
hey, thanks for the referrals, I will get to work. Looks like I have some long term couch potato skills to hone first!

Alot to answer there!

First, where in the state, West, Central, East?
It makes a difference on the type of tree you'll find. Second, how much space do you have?

Depending on those answers and remembering my experience at that stage, my advice is anything cheap or bargain bin from box store or nurseries. I needed just to learn how to grow woody plants in containers.

Then get permission to dig eastern red cedars (J. virginania), most farmers will pay you to dig them. They will probably all die, be straight crappy bonsai, and randomly lose branches. But you will learn how to collect material and then if you want you can go to Colorado and dig or buy a proper yamadori.

Also Siberian elms are plentiful, just look along fence lines. They are naturalized.

Another naturalized tree is the Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera). They were hedge row trees during the '30s. Amazing bright orange wood, super rot resistant, and related to mulberry and figs. I think they have the potential to be a great American bonsai tree. Jim Smith @jkl (R.I.P.) had a great one.

Rock Chalk!
I'm in Eastern KS. Actually near Kansas City. Thanks for this info, looks like a great place to start!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've really accelerated into this hobby for the brief 3 coming on to 4 years I've been in it.

Starting out the amount of information out there is overwhelming and its hard to learn what to do. To first get a gauge on what bonsai encompassed I bought a used book. "The Complete Book of Bonsai" by Harry Tomlinson. I like the book a lot and helped me establish basic knowledge.

The bonsai4me site sorce listed is great. I think I've read almost every single article on that site. After getting sucked in I literally took in as much information as I could every single day. Youtube, web searching, and especially this forum has been a huge resource for me. If I was not studying, working, or out somewhere I was reading something bonsai related almost all the time.

Any time I had a question about a species, seasonal technique, or horticulture I exhausted the limits of the search function and asked people with related experience.

I really have to thank the members of this forum. If I were to learn purely from experience it'd take at least 10+ years to reach the level I feel I'm at with bonsai. This forum is a resource where I can benefit from the techniques and horticultural knowledge that took a long time to develop. If you can sift through the crap this forum is pure gold. I am a member of my local club but I'd have to say this forum has been a much bigger resource for me.

Top Bottom