Looking for some workshop advice

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I've signed up for a bring-your-own-tree workshop with Michael Feduccia, in about a month. I'm having a hard time choosing a tree to bring. It will be the middle of winter, which obviously is different from "winter" in most of your locales. Here though, it significantly limits the severity of work that I can do on most tropical species.

Bad news: I've just realized that pretty much everything I'm willing to take into public should not be worked on much next month.

Good news: I was fortunate enough to receive a decent Christmas Bonus. So, I'm willing & able to buy some decent material.

So, I figure I have a few options.

1 - order something ready for winter work & which can be delivered in about 3-4 weeks. (elms, hackberry, sweetgum, cypress, oak, etc..?)

2 - choose something from my yard that can be abused & then maintained at a reasonable temperature for the following couple of months. ( I have a crepe myrtle group planting that might work.)

3 - Arrive early at the show and find something in the vendors' area.

4 - See if a nursery (sort of) nearby can help - durastone, dragon tree, etc.

What would you recommend? Any ideas I haven't thought of above?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would say order something or buy something from the vendors area. Wherever you think you can get a better piece of material. Tis the season. Spoil yourself.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Why don't you contact Mike and get his opinion on what would be appropriate to bring to the workshop. He's the expert on the subject and could probably tell you right away if any of your current material would be reasonable to bring to the workshop, or if you need something different.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Besides considering what's best for the trees which is always the top priority find out what Michael F. strong points are and try to match those two things as best as you can

-damn David beat me to it :)

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Why don't you contact Mike and get his opinion on what would be appropriate to bring to the workshop. He's the expert on the subject and could probably tell you right away if any of your current material would be reasonable to bring to the workshop, or if you need something different.

I emailed Mike a few days ago, and his advice was the basis of this post. He confirmed my seasonal-tropical worries, and provided the list of varieties to bring - included above. I probably should have mentioned & credited him with that. Thanks for the reply.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll go with #3 but bring a #2 just in case ;)

#4 is good too if they are that close to you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Take some photos if you can and post them for us to follow along!

Looks like you found your answers...

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Not sure that I have an answer yet. Dario & NY offered their opinions, respected but not conclusive.

I will put some effort into snapping off some i-phone pics of whatever we do. & I'll get a photo of the crepe myrtle tomorrow in the daylight.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Those are the species that he suggests but what are his strong points as a bonsai artist? What is he known for? Try to combine the with a species that would be safe this time of year there.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you have stock with several styling options growing at your home, bring them. If you have been keeping your eye on something that was raised for bonsai and have the funds, go that route. My workshop learnings include:

1. Always bring more than 1-2 trees to work on.
2. Never bring a tree you have a vision for unless you are willing to be talked into a diffeet vision.
3. Always try to do seasonably appropriate work.
4. Prepare to do only phase 1 of a multi-phase project. With Kathy, it's like bonsai class, very cool, but different at first.
5. Take lots of photos and notes.
6. Health trees only...workshops are hard on trees because we tend to push the limits.
7. It's easier to work on a tree that you've been taking care of for a while, you'll know it better and have some ideas of fronts, primary branches, design ideas/options already considered.
8. Have fun!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Personally I would take the crape myrtle, seeing that it is a perfect time of year
to wire and style, seeing that they drop leaves in winter.

Do you think repotting the crape would be okay in mid-January? I think it really needs rearranged, maybe moved to a different pot as part of the next work. It has lost all of its leaves.

Only prob. about waiting to buy from the vendors there, is what if you don't
like anything and gotta just pick something to be able to do the class ???
Bummer...
:)

Agreed. Looks like I'm leaning to Dario's advice of bring one of mine, and check out the vendor's area to see if anything suitable catches my eye.

Brian, thanks for your list - good stuff there to keep in mind. I was really thinking about #7 when I signed up. I'll have to look for workshop options for some of my favorite trees next spring & summer.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
If you can do it take a ride Down to Wigert's in Ft Myers lot of trees and I think they would be happy to help you.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
If you can do it take a ride Down to Wigert's in Ft Myers lot of trees and I think they would be happy to help you.

That's a 3-hour drive (6-hour round trip), which is a bit more than I'm willing to go for this one. I do want to get down there someday. I've met them at the annual BSF show, and they do seem to be knowledgeable & helpful.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Although, seeing that it is in the mid-80's right now,
it isn't really winter, is it ???

Good point. It really depends on where and how you care for them after.

Case in point, I chopped, carved and even re-potted a few (about 23) tropical plants a few weeks ago so I can pack them on the small "carved" space in my garage. It has artificial lighting and temps stay around 65*F for the most part. Since then, most are pushing growth like crazy! :eek: I actually pruned some of them back a few times already (so they won't shade the rest too much).

That said, the ficus and fukien tea...are sulking right now (they didn't like the move).;)

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I was thinking that we might repot and rearrange the crape(s) at the workshop. Sorry, no pic today. Got home from work after dark...

Sure doesn't seem like Winter here. Though I hear it will get a little chilly this weekend. It's easy enough for me to add the crape to my bonsai shuffle. I bring a bunch of stuff in when I see predictions of temps around 40. Basically I fill up the Florida room.

Still working on some alternatives...My Dad seems up for going to see Robert at Dragon Tree, and then bringing me a tree when we meet for Christmas. So, I need to call him and see what's available. I'm optimistic, since he had tons of nice stuff last time I was there. I can always bring that, the crapes, and something else along to the workshop - see if any catch Mike's eye and go from there. It's good to have options.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
That's a 3-hour drive (6-hour round trip), which is a bit more than I'm willing to go for this one. I do want to get down there someday. I've met them at the annual BSF show, and they do seem to be knowledgeable & helpful.[/QUOTE
That's a hike I know or you could call and talk about them sending you something one of the few that I'd trust to do that.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Dad to the rescue

update...I spoke to Robert at Dragon Tree and (as expected) he has plenty of material just waiting for such a workshop. My Dad is going to pick up a Drake Elm and a Hackberry tomorrow.

We'll make the transfer on Sunday, where/when we just happen to be meeting for Christmas anyway.

I'll take both new trees and the Crape planting up to Bunnell. So pleased. :cool::cool::cool:

Edit: Have I mentioned how great my dad is lately?

Last edited:

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Great to see you have worked out a plan, mat.

I was going to suggest Schley's bonsai in Deland to look for some pre bonsai material. Heck, I was even going to say I would meet you there on the Friday before the event.

I will also be in the workshop with Michael that weekend, so I would be more than happy to help you pick out some suitable material. So, the offer stands, if you aren't happy with your material or are still looking, or heck, just want to meet up that Friday for the heck of it and look around, let me know. If not, hey, I will see you in class!

For those of you that were asking what Michael's comfort zone is regarding working on bonsai....He has been Ryan Neil's long term student/apprentice and has traveled with Ryan and worked with him on stage at many events, demos and training sessions. Although he is not Ryan, and I am not comparing the two, he is very well versed working on just about anything you could throw at him. After all, he is Ryan's go-to guy!

Top Bottom