Looking for the best bonsai nursery’s in the Midwest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I reside out of St. Louis MO. Some time between late March and May I’m going to visit a buddy in Indianapolis. I’m looking to hit some bonsai nurseries on this adventure and I’m willing to make a pretty big loop to hit a few good nurseries. Any recommendations?

So far I’m seeing berea bonsai studio (this one is a little further out but maybe it’s worth drive), twisted nature bonsai. Both of these are in ky. Indianapolis I found circle city bonsai and eagle creek bonsai (both seem very small and special in tropical material which I already have plenty of). In the Chicago area I found bc bonsai.

Anybody have experience with any of these nurseries, or perhaps know of others in the gerneral area?? Maybe none of these nurseries are even worth traveling to....

Possibly take a different trip a little south I got bjorns nursery in Nashville, although I suspect some very expensive material. Also I could hit Brussels bonsai in Memphis which seems the most promising just by going off website pics.

Any experience with Brussels or bjorns nursery?

Thanks again bonsai fellas

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mark Fields place is in Indiana. Never been, but Mark has great trees, so I would assume his nursery is top notch.

Brussel's is huge and has tons of stuff. It's actually a super cool place to visit and just walk around.

Bjorn's is not exactly ripe with low dollar stuff, but again, it's worth the visit. He is expanding and by spring he might have more material. And you could save up some $$ and buy a great piece there, that's for sure.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark Fields place is in Indiana. Never been, but Mark has great trees, so I would assume his nursery is top notch.
Went to this site and first thing up was what is happening in 2018. I am sorry, he may be among the best but a website that is focusing on what happened last year does not seem very encouraging.
I do appreciate your posting it, but I am not likely to return.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's also The Hidden Gardens in the Chicagoland area. They have a lot of nice collected material as well as further along stuff. BC Bonsai has a fun selection of all sorts of stuff. Bear in mind that they're actually based at their home, so depending on when you wish to drop by, you may want to give them a call.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Went to this site and first thing up was what is happening in 2018. I am sorry, he may be among the best but a website that is focusing on what happened last year does not seem very encouraging.
Oh my. Don’t confuse webmaster skills with bonsai master skills!!!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark Fields is first rate, but small. His place is a back yard operation - good quality, good instruction, but pretty small. Circle City bonsai and Eagle Creek bonsai are also small operations. To my knowledge there is not a large nursery in the Indianapolis area, but if you're passing through I would stop at Mark's.

If your traveling all over you might also check out Bogan's bonsai https://bogansbonsai.com/ near Evansville, IN. Great pot selection.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mark Field has great shohin trees.

Hidden Gardens has western state collected trees picked by Walter Pall.

BC Bonsai has a number of pre Bonsai tropical, deciduous, and evergreen. They also have some land in Paw Paw, IL that have field grown trees. Dig your own on weekends for a good price. Jim helps with a sawzall.

All are good people, just depends on what you are looking for tree wise.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I reside out of St. Louis MO. Some time between late March and May I’m going to visit a buddy in Indianapolis. I’m looking to hit some bonsai nurseries on this adventure and I’m willing to make a pretty big loop to hit a few good nurseries. Any recommendations?

So far I’m seeing berea bonsai studio (this one is a little further out but maybe it’s worth drive), twisted nature bonsai. Both of these are in ky. Indianapolis I found circle city bonsai and eagle creek bonsai (both seem very small and special in tropical material which I already have plenty of). In the Chicago area I found bc bonsai.

Anybody have experience with any of these nurseries, or perhaps know of others in the gerneral area?? Maybe none of these nurseries are even worth traveling to....

Possibly take a different trip a little south I got bjorns nursery in Nashville, although I suspect some very expensive material. Also I could hit Brussels bonsai in Memphis which seems the most promising just by going off website pics.

Any experience with Brussels or bjorns nursery?

Thanks again bonsai fellas
If you are visiting BC bonsai, you should definitely visit Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook. They have an amazing collection of bonsai. More than anyplace I have seen. If you are familiar with Walter Pall, he visits there twice year from Germany. If you are not you should google Walter. He has an amazing web-site, not to mention collection of trees.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
He demo'd and vended at the National Shohin Show this summer, if that speaks to his skill.

The corollary to that: I can make a pretty nice website, but Bill Valavanis isn't asking me to lead a demo at his shows.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
He demo'd and vended at the National Shohin Show this summer, if that speaks to his skill.

The corollary to that: I can make a pretty nice website, but Bill Valavanis isn't asking me to lead a demo at his shows.
He also won a major award, I can’t remember exactly which one, but he had a nice tree.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are visiting BC bonsai, you should definitely visit Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook. They have an amazing collection of bonsai. More than anyplace I have seen. If you are familiar with Walter Pall, he visits there twice year from Germany. If you are not you should google Walter. He has an amazing web-site, not to mention collection of trees.
@Walter Pall? That name sounds familiar.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
He also won a major award, I can’t remember exactly which one, but he had a nice tree.
Oh yeah! I don't think he won an award for them, but he had a couple ginkgo that were pretty stellar as well,.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ummmm yeah I’m familiar with Walter Paul, he’s all over this site!

Thanks for the responses everyone!!

I think I’ll most likely stop at bogan bonsai on the way in. Definitely try to hit up mark fields. May or may not stop at circle city bonsai while I visit my friend in Indianapolis. Then head north to bc bonsai and hidden gardens.

Taking the annual family trip to gulf shores about a month later so gonna hopefully stop by Eisei-en on the way back (already sent them an email to try and set up a appointment, just waiting on response). Wife was totally down for the detour bc it’s in Nashville, plenty of entertainment! Then B-line west straight to Memphis to visit Brussels. Will be a fun cpl Trips!

Q’s
-dose anybody know the best way to get ahold of mark fields??

-how much denaro would you take to bjorns place in hopes of something nice?? Haven’t killed a tree in quit some time and I’ve got some real decent material..... but I would like something older.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Midwest is a pretty big generality, and St. Louis is far afield from Michigan, but if you happen to lean near Toledo, The Flower Market in Dundee, MI is a good source for bonsai materials. Kurt & Lita Smith have the best bonsai nursery in Michigan and every Saturday has something going on that you can participate in, or just hang out and watch.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A0EC1AE2-3E4B-4CC5-BF07-92B8A4D251DC.jpeg

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Midwest is a pretty big generality, and St. Louis is far afield from Michigan, but if you happen to lean near Toledo, The Flower Market in Dundee, MI is a good source for bonsai materials. Kurt & Lita Smith have the best bonsai nursery in Michigan and every Saturday has something going on that you can participate in, or just hang out and watch.

I agree! This is one of my favorite places to visit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately my nearest bonsai nursery, about 45 min away is closing up. They had workshops on Saturdays as well. They still have pots and landscaping trees to get rid of, but not a single potted tree. They expect to be completely closed by end of year. And go figure my local club had its annual auction (which usually brings in pretty nice material) the day after I had surgery. I was about to send the wife to take pics and bid on trees for me. Oh well, a little road trip will be fun!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Absolutely. I visited them last year and it was great! They also came to the Cleveland Club's show, along with Ken's World of Bonsai.

Top Bottom