Looking for the "keeper" out of the bunch...which do you think

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Alright...I contacted Dave from the nursery down in Florida...picked his brain on Bottlebrush...he really knows a lot...he has three specimens of weeping bottlebrush. I am attaching the three photos he sent me. He feels the broom style is the best for these trees. For the bloom to be appreciated to its full advantage.

The branches were left on to grow out the trunk...he mentioned braking off a thicker branch and leaving it with character,the smooth ones I believe are cut off though.

I asked him his opinion of which had the most character...since he can visually see them in person. And knows bonsai.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 148

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first pic has the worst poster child inverse taper I have ever seen. Do not buy.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume the 3 pics are of the same tree? It does have serious reverse taper going on, but if you plan on chopping it low the first pic show you have plenty of growth options. I am not familiar with bottle brush so i can not help with ideas about if it would respond well to being chopped. However most trees/bushes can be chopped as low as the bottom branch, with the exception being some juni's. It does have a nice fissured looking bark and a decent trunk though....

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Those trees look to have reverse taper, as mentioned, and that alone would dissuade me from buying them.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first two are bad and the picture of numerous trees doesn't give any clarity. When multiple branches come from the same point on the tree, you have to be very cautious of the reverse taper that develops. People growing tree out, don't always pay close attention.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgive me if I've missed something, as I haven't read every one of your posts. But I'm wondering why you are looking for such exotic material as this (and some of the others you've posted about)? Why not start with some more typical materials? Hardy trees such as elm, maple, larch if you have a place to over-winter them, or something like willow leaf ficus if you want something for indoors? These species are tried-and-true for bonsai, and when you run into problems you'll have many resources to help you. On the other hand, if you post asking about a problem with the bottle brush, how many people here will have the experience with that plant to be able to help?

Just a thought that came to mind...I can't recall if you've already got a collection of more typical species going. If so, just ignore me!

Chris

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The first pic has the worst poster child inverse taper I have ever seen. Do not buy.

I thought the same thing about the first one...they are to be different trees though. I did ask him to send me several angles of the one that he feels has the most character. Because I just can't tell from what he sent.

Hoping they all don't have the reverse taper... They are $85...I believe he said around 18" tall when we spoke on the phone. I also asked him which one would look best with the broken branch he spoke about...because I feel the broom is more formal than I wanted to go with as looks go.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I thought the same thing about the first one...they are to be different trees though. I did ask him to send me several angles of the one that he feels has the most character. Because I just can't tell from what he sent.

Hoping they all don't have the reverse taper... They are $85...I believe he said around 18" tall when we spoke on the phone. I also asked him which one would look best with the broken branch he spoke about...because I feel the broom is more formal than I wanted to go with as looks go.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay that much for a tree I can't actually see. I've bought trees that I can't see every angle of before, and 9 times out of 10 it's bit me in the butt.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The first two are bad and the picture of numerous trees doesn't give any clarity.

I thought the same thing! Thus I asked for more photos of the one he feels has the most character...also stating I wanted one with the least formal and more character to its trunk since he suggests broom style for these. I was hoping weeping. Since it is a weeping bottlebrush and is known to do better when one trains it to weep. But...many do the broom style with them.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe I've seen better bottle brush from Lowe's for about $20.00. If you'll spend more money, make sure you are getting better trees. ;)

Starting with exotics w/o a clue is inviting trouble as Chris mentioned. It is better to use tried and true bonsai species. Once you got the horticulture covered...you can experiment to your hearts content. :)

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going with native trees at first is the best way to go when getting started. All the special needs of a variety can leave you wondering to many variables when things stop going well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Forgive me if I've missed something, as I haven't read every one of your posts. But I'm wondering why you are looking for such exotic material as this (and some of the others you've posted about)? Why not start with some more typical materials? Hardy trees such as elm, maple, larch if you have a place to over-winter them, or something like willow leaf ficus if you want something for indoors? These species are tried-and-true for bonsai, and when you run into problems you'll have many resources to help you. On the other hand, if you post asking about a problem with the bottle brush, how many people here will have the experience with that plant to be able to help?

Just a thought that came to mind...I can't recall if you've already got a collection of more typical species going. If so, just ignore me!

Chris

Chris...I have been searching flowering bonsai as beginner bonsai. (Then cross referencing to see if such plant is toxic) This one came up on several lists I found. I do see your point of it being less common and less help in caring for it if I run into problems...I do have a juniper...I have many tropical house plants. I guess I felt that since I have had so much success with them...that it would be easier going that route.

I have never done a pot outdoors before...and I am sure once I get through my first winter with the juniper I will be less nervous about doing so.

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go with an Azalea or rhododendron that they sell in nurseries where you live. An easy place to start.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Go with an Azalea or rhododendron that they sell in nurseries where you live. An easy place to start.

I had thought of going with a Pieris since it is part of the rhododendron family...I spoke with a local nursery who doesn't do bonsai...but has the shrub. Basically as easy to care for as the rhodie. ( my niece has a cute bonsai which is the Pieris. But it is highly toxic...as are all in the rhodie family. And I have a leaf nipper dog about ) If it wasn't for that...I would go with an azalea...they are quite pretty when in bloom. We discussed it being on a bonsai table on another post...I just worry about if the leaves or blooms drop to the ground.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris...I have been searching flowering bonsai as beginner bonsai. (Then cross referencing to see if such plant is toxic) This one came up on several lists I found. I do see your point of it being less common and less help in caring for it if I run into problems...I do have a juniper...I have many tropical house plants. I guess I felt that since I have had so much success with them...that it would be easier going that route.
Fair enough! What kinds of tropicals do you grow?

Cadillactaste said:
I had thought of going with a Pieris since it is part of the rhododendron family
Pieris can make nice bonsai (as I'm sure you've found using google). However...there is probably a good reason why they are not common. I haven't seen one yet and I've been to two of the national exhibitions and several other exhibits/symposia. Never seen one in an exhibit, never seen one for sale. Same goes for the bottle brush. I don't mean to discourage experimentation (I've got a number of unusual projects going), but there's enough to learn with bonsai as it is that it just makes sense to me to start with more "typical" material.

Chris

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do your self a favor and by trees from people that grow bonsai. The first tree in he pic needs to be put down
I'm thinking spray with roundup so it does not suffer to long.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Out of curiosity...and, having responded to another thread you started on bottle brush...I stopped by a local nursery out here (it's right next to my lumber yard and I'd never stopped in before). Low and behold he had a dozen bottle brush in 20 gallon nursery pots for $55 ea. 3" trunks, great bark, movement, branching and only a few with noticeably nice nebari. Sorry, no pics...yet.

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. You obviously have your reasons...but I think there are better deals out there. I don't know if they're exotic...they just aren't the norm...and when you need some help...it might be hard to find.

That being said...I think I'll pick up one of those suckers up this week. I'll post some picks. Hey, I'm fairly new at this too :)...why not?

Good luck!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fair enough! What kinds of tropicals do you grow?

Pieris can make nice bonsai (as I'm sure you've found using google). However...there is probably a good reason why they are not common. I haven't seen one yet and I've been to two of the national exhibitions and several other exhibits/symposia. Never seen one in an exhibit, never seen one for sale. Same goes for the bottle brush. I don't mean to discourage experimentation (I've got a number of unusual projects going), but there's enough to learn with bonsai as it is that it just makes sense to me to start with more "typical" material.

Chris

We had a member here whom is a vet who said this particular variety is extremely toxic to dogs. And he has treated for such a plant...so it so would never be a choice now.

As for some of my plants...* over 7years in my care
*Tropical hibiscus
*Cissus hypoglauca
Wild butterfly orchid (within the last year with success)
*Several air plants
*A begonia since it came home in a styrophom cup when my son was in first grade...he is a junior now. And I have many comment on it when they visit. Amazed that it came home from school and has lived as long as it has.

A few more that I would have to google because I do not know their names...as they were given to me as gifts.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Out of curiosity...and, having responded to another thread you started on bottle brush...I stopped by a local nursery out here (it's right next to my lumber yard and I'd never stopped in before). Low and behold he had a dozen bottle brush in 20 gallon nursery pots for $55 ea. 3" trunks, great bark, movement, branching and only a few with noticeably nice nebari. Sorry, no pics...yet.

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. You obviously have your reasons...but I think there are better deals out there. I don't know if they're exotic...they just aren't the norm...and when you need some help...it might be hard to find.

That being said...I think I'll pick up one of those suckers up this week. I'll post some picks. Hey, I'm fairly new at this too :)...why not?

Good luck!
Care to share the nursery's name and number...I would love to see what they have! Far better of a price if I would lose it later.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe I've seen better bottle brush from Lowe's for about $20.00. If you'll spend more money, make sure you are getting better trees. ;)

Starting with exotics w/o a clue is inviting trouble as Chris mentioned. It is better to use tried and true bonsai species. Once you got the horticulture covered...you can experiment to your hearts content. :)

Maybe I just need to get through the winter...air layer that flowering almond (looking forward to that) and see how my willow that I'm rooting takes...Planted the tamarix but it is extremely small...and just keep a few tropical on my list of wants for now. I am thrilled with my bougie. Maybe I'll add another air plant to the mix. I bought a cracked coconut shell for displaying such a purchase.

Top Bottom