looking to buy a Deshojo AP

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking to buy a Deshojo Japanese maple, anyone have any? I know there are plenty in the UK, but I am looking for one in the States, unless you can ship it across the pond.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Deshojo Japanese maple, anyone have any? I know there are plenty in the UK, but I am looking for one in the States, unless you can ship it across the pond.

Over the last 2 year I have sent several hundred cutting-grown deshojo to the USA, but I think they will only begin appearing in the market in 2023/2024 (after a potting, cut back, wiring, etc.)

Attachments

• IMG_7386.jpeg
    IMG_7386.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 46

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would be very cautious having any Acer palmatum mailed to you from outside the US. There's only three countries that you can import AP from with a permit and phytosanitary certificate and quarantining may be required after entry. If you are successful in getting an AP mailed to you say from Europe you will basically need to keep that plant under the radar. If the USDA becomes aware you have illegally imported a species that is banned you could loose your entire collection due to contamination, not to mention pay some severe fines. Illegally importing or importing without a phytosanitary certificate puts our native plants at risk. Also something else to consider, if you illegally import an AP and it is a carrier of a virus or disease that affects our natives in industry here (example: Sugar maple for syrup or hard or soft maple for lumber) and the USDA can trace if back to the illegally imported specimen you could be held liable for the damages to that industry.

USDA is currently working a risk analysis on importation from South Korea, so this may be a new door to get AP from the east. This will be specific for artificially dwarfed plants (aka bonsai).
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ne...r-posts/sa_by_date/sa-2022/dwarf-plants-korea

Importing from Canada would be the easiest with a phytosanitary certificate as Canada does not require postentry quarantine.

Another option would be 'Shin deshojo' very similar and some say it is an improved version of 'Deshojo'.

Do what's right and protect out native flora.

From the USDA:

Acer spp.
Imported Acer spp. (maple) plants for planting (except seeds) are Not Authorized Pending Pest Risk Analysis (NAPPRA) from all countries except Canada, the Netherlands, and New Zealand.

Continue to specific requirements for Acer spp. from Canada, Acer spp. from the Netherlands, and Acer spp. from New Zealand.

Acer spp. from Canada When from Canada1 , Acer spp. plants (except seeds) must meet the following requirements: 1. Anoplophora chinensis (CLB) and Anoplophora glabripennis (ALB) requirements. See Table 3-4 to determine if Acer. spp from Canada meets the conditions for entry. Federal Order Effective May 20, 2013. 2. Acer circinatum, Acer davidii, Acer laevigatum, Acer macrophyllum, and Acer pseudoplatanus plants for planting (except seeds) must meet the following requirements: A. Anoplophora chinensis (CLB) and Anoplophora glabripennis (ALB) requirements; see Table 3-4 to determine if meets conditions. B. Phytophthora ramorum (sudden oak death) requirements. See Table 3-11 to determine if meets conditions. Federal Order Effective May 21, 2012 When meets the definition of from1 Canada, then Acer spp. plants do not require postentry quarantine.

Acer spp. from the Netherlands Plants for planting (except seeds) of Acer spp. (except nonvariegated varieties of Acer palmatum and Acer japonicum) are Not Authorized Pending Pest Risk Analysis (NAPPRA) from the Netherlands. Only nonvariegated varieties of Acer palmatum and Acer japonicum may be imported from the Netherlands and must meet the following conditions: 1. Must at the time of arriving at the port of first arrival in the United States, be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate with an additional declaration that the plants are of a nonvariegated variety of Acer palmatum or Acer japonicum. 2. Are subject to the Anoplophora glabripennis (ALB) and Anoplophora chinensis (CLB) Federal Import Order. See Table 3-7, Host Plants (except seeds) of Anoplophora chinensis (CLB) or Anoplophora glabripennis (ALB) from All Countries Other than Canada Where ALB and/or CLB Is Present. When meeting all other conditions for entry, nonvariegated varieties of Acer japonicum and Acer palmatum must enter under Postentry Quarantine Program.

Acer spp. from New Zealand Acer spp. plants (except seeds) from New Zealand must meet the following conditions: 1. Anoplophora glabripennis (ALB) and Anoplophora chinensis (CLB) Federal Import Order for entry. See Table 3-8, Host Plants (except seeds) of ALB and CLB from Countries Other than Canada Where ALB and CLB Are Not Present. 2. Acer circinatum, Acer davidii, Acer laevigatum, Acer macrophyllum, Acer pseudoplatanus must meet the conditions of the Phytophthora ramorum Federal Order Effective May 21, 2012 for entry. See Table 3-12, Host Plants (except seeds) of Phytophthora ramorum from Other than Canada. When meeting all other conditions for entry, Acer spp. from New Zealand must enter Post entry Quarantine. Postentry

Quarantine When meeting all other conditions for entry, Acer spp. must enter postentry quarantine. When meeting all other conditions for entry, nonvariegated varieties of Acer japonicum and Acer palmatum from the Netherlands must enter under postentry quarantine.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mr Maple just offered Deshojo grafted. They may have more soon, as the ones they put up were gone so fast.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
strange, I have email reminders set up for that one and they didn't send me a notification
I don’t trust that notification thing, the same has happened to me in the past. I do have an alarm on my phone set for Tuesdays at 10am to catch the 10@10 every week😉

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don’t trust that notification thing, the same has happened to me in the past. I do have an alarm on my phone set for Tuesdays at 10am to catch the 10@10 every week😉
It used to be 10.....now it's more like 25. What they are doing is target marketing. They keep plants out of stock purposely and then they miraculously become available on Tuesday's. Then they sell out in a few hours. Then the following week it's the same thing but with a different cultivar.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It used to be 10.....now it's more like 25. What they are doing is target marketing. They keep plants out of stock purposely and then they miraculously become available on Tuesday's. Then they sell out in a few hours. Then the following week it's the same thing but with a different cultivar.
I know, as soon as I get the few I’m looking for I’m done with them. It sucks because I gotta keep paying shipping. I wish I could just get them all at once but no…. Gotta wait till Tuesday and pay another $18 in shipping 😒…..I wish they would open their nursery back up to the public. They are like two hours from me. By the time I finish paying shipping over and over it would have been cheaper to just drive there 😂

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know, as soon as I get the few I’m looking for I’m done with them. It sucks because I gotta keep paying shipping. I wish I could just get them all at once but no…. Gotta wait till Tuesday and pay another $18 in shipping 😒…..I wish they would open their nursery back up to the public. They are like two hours from me. By the time I finish paying shipping over and over it would have been cheaper to just drive there 😂
I don't know if they are still doing their open house, you should check into it.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i can pick them up for you they live like 15 minutes from my house
I mean I can go pick them up too but I want to pick them out in the nursery. I’m sure they have some larger trees and specimen trees that aren’t listed in the normal 1gal sizes.

D

Deleted member 32750

I’d love to be put on the list too if you have enough :)

Top Bottom