Looking to work with stand creator?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many stand artists out there. Jerry Braswell in California makes many and is set up and ready to make a stand at any given notice. There are many more in the Mid West as well as the east coast. The problem with stands are that they are time consuming and more difficult to make when one wants a lovely stand to compliment a tree. Couple that with people wanting cocobola or rosewood as a stand material because of its looks rather than poplar, and that drives the price up. So I always say to anyone that wants a custom stand, make your plea on the internet and give dimensions and height, and what your budget is. If you want a 16 x 22 stand four inches tall out of rosewood for 125.00, not probably gonna get too many takers on that since the wood alone will cost more than that. A decent looking stand out of Indian rosewood in that size is more like 4 to 500.00 plus shipping.

Then the maker you choose will have an assortment of wood that they can build from based on supply, which currently can be tricky.

I havnt built stands for five years. Ready to, and will be, but will build and offer, and no commisions due to price for wood and my time.

Last edited:

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
There are many stand artists out there. Jerry Braswell in California makes many and is set up and ready to make a stand at any given notice. There are many more in the Mid West as well as the east coast. The problem with stands are that they are time consuming and more difficult to make when one wants a lovely stand to compliment a tree. Couple that with people wanting cocobola or rosewood as a stand material because of its looks rather than poplar, and that drives the price up. So I always say to anyone that wants a custom stand, make your plea on the internet and give dimensions and height, and what your budget is. If you want a 16 x 22 stand four inches tall out of rosewood for 125.00, not probably gonna get too many takers on that since the wood alone will cost more than that. A decent looking stand out of Indian rosewood in that size is more like 4 to 500.00 plus shipping.

Then the maker you choose will have an assortment of wood that they can build from based on supply, which currently can be tricky.

I havnt built stands for five years. Ready to, and will be, but will build and offer, and no commisions due to price for wood and my time.

Thank you for the advice. Appreciate how you work and develop your stands. The website is great.

Thank you

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
What does every consider when choosing the height of the stand?

I struggle with the suggested heights of stands,
As a viewer I find that I often am above a bonsai and have to bend a significant to achieve a good perspective and viewing angle

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you want a 16 x 22 stand four inches tall out of rosewood for 125.00, not probably gonna get too many takers on that since the wood alone will cost more than that. A decent looking stand out of Indian rosewood in that size is more like 4 to 500.00 plus shipping.
This times 1000, I used to make guitars and still communicate with a few of my luthier friends and the price of exotic hardwoods have climbed through the roof in the last 2 years. Finding dimensional lumber for a stand like that is going to be very expensive if you want a solid top. 2 piece, 3 piece top would be slightly cheaper. I used to get my wood from Gilmer and other sellers between 2004-2011 when I was most active and I can say that the price almost tripled by now. I don't even know how some guys are able to sell their guitars at almost the same price they did 10 years ago in todays market.

Also, be advised that many species have landed in the CITES regulation, Indian Rosewood is one of them, so shipping this wood anywhere outside the cont USA will surely end up being fined and the artifact ending as firewood.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely wood to work with, my favourite for carving.
I agree about working it. Nice and dense, holds an edge and sands well. If only it wasn't green. Stains terrible. My favorite is black walnut, still inexpensive and then alder. Stains well with all the other attributes. I like box elder for carving.

Fort Maple

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A photo I took yesterday. A few root stands made by my brother and myself. The bottom is oak back filled with blue epoxy and still a work in progress, then black walnut, heartwood of red cedar, and then white pine with blue. Not sure of value but they sure are fun to make. Havent started selling but will very soon.

Attachments

• 20230102_110324.jpg
    20230102_110324.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 38

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Black Walnut is beautiful. Well done.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
@Hartinez would like to collaborate on this tree and pot if you are interested.

Tree will be restyled and put in this pot in spring.

Sent you a DM with photos too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-190907.png
    Screenshot_20230107-190907.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20221227-185901.png
    Screenshot_20221227-185901.png
    366.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20221227-185809.png
    Screenshot_20221227-185809.png
    541.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221227-185843.png