Lorapatelum

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Lorapatelum or chinese fringe flower I purchased from a Bonsai stall at a Market several years ago and the leaves turn brown at the tips its in a peat and grit compost 50/50mix and fed every 2 weeks with dof liquid Ericatius shrub feed half strength of the makers Instructions it is about 6yrs old and dose not put on much growth it is kept in partial shade with morning sun I re poted thinking that it might be the compost about 2yrs ago but that did not solve the problem it has not been aloud to dry out waterd with rain water
can anyone help with this problem I read on one site that there are problems with growing these trees in small pots yet others say the oposite

Good Growing
Barry

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure it didn't get dried out? Maybe over fertalized? I have several in development and have never had the tips turn brown. If anything the older leaves further back on the branch will turn color and fall off but not the growth tips. I water every day and twice a day on 95F or higher days. The soil is standard type bonsai free draining soil mix. The sun exposure sounds similar to mine. Any chance of a picture?
Mary B.

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine has turned brown, but is coming back. I'm not sure if mine was due to two weeks of 100 degree days in full sun, watering, or too much foliage growth in the spring. Every one I have ever planted in the ground has went in full sun though.

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
fringe flower

Hi
Sorry it took so long to reply but a friend of mine sugested I try using a different type of feed I flushed out the old feed with plenty of water and then used Miracid sorry if I have not spelt it right
this seems to have done the trick I have used this feed at half the recomended strength since I got this plant and its never grown much and always had brown tips on the leaves all other Ericatious plants are ok

Many thanks to all

Barry Leicestershire England Zone 8

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THis is most likely NOT a fertilizer problem. Half strength every other week is hardly enough to do much of anything. Most bonsaiist feed their trees full strength.

More likely it's a soil/root problem. If it's a bonsai purchased in a market, it's probably in crappy soil--a 50/50 mix will hold too much water and won't drain properly. The symptoms you describe are in line with overwatering/soggy soil.

A fringe tree should be in full sun outdoors in your location and watered only when it's needed. It's needed with the soil is relatively dry.

Top Bottom