Lorax7 Autumn Moon #1 progression

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Japanese maple ‘Autumn Moon’ air layer harvested about a month ago. Showing some signs of life with new growth. This one struggled for a while after separation from the host tree. Not sure how it will fare over the winter. Hopefully, it will have a chance to recover some energy before the leaves turn color and fall.
1BEA543B-D6FC-4002-9E80-CEE2695181EC.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am hoping for the best, but your seasonal timing on this one isn't the greatest, particularly for Michigan. In the best of worlds, you would have started the air-layer in spring and separated by early summer - giving it the entire summer to recover. When you separated the air-layer, was the branch full of foliage that has since changed color and fallen from the branch?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am hoping for the best, but your seasonal timing on this one isn't the greatest, particularly for Michigan. In the best of worlds, you would have started the air-layer in spring and separated by early summer - giving it the entire summer to recover. When you separated the air-layer, was the branch full of foliage that has since changed color and fallen from the branch?
The layer was started in the spring. Nonetheless, this one did not have as many roots as some of the other maples that I layered this year. When I separated it, there was additional foliage, which all turned brown pretty quickly. I figured it was dead. Then, it put out this new growth. It’s still not out of the woods yet, but it’s holding on for now, which is more than I had anticipated considering. Only time will tell.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The layer was started in the spring. Nonetheless, this one did not have as many roots as some of the other maples that I layered this year. When I separated it, there was additional foliage, which all turned brown pretty quickly. I figured it was dead. Then, it put out this new growth. It’s still not out of the woods yet, but it’s holding on for now, which is more than I had anticipated considering. Only time will tell.
Yes... the only advice I have for you is to provide a ton of protection this winter. I haven't tried overwintering a weak JM indoors - similar to a tropical - so I'm not sure if that would help things in this case. Many deciduous can skip a single winter without undue stress... but not sure about JM.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes... the only advice I have for you is to provide a ton of protection this winter. I haven't tried overwintering a weak JM indoors - similar to a tropical - so I'm not sure if that would help things in this case. Many deciduous can skip a single winter without undue stress... but not sure about JM.
I guess I could give it a short winter by leaving it out for now so it has a dormancy period, but then bring it indoors before the harshest part of winter.

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a sheltered, unheated space to keep it safe from the worst of winter or a cold room in your house that would stay under 40 F? Those would be my first choice for over winter care of this one.

Alternatively, if you can't keep it sheltered I would place it on the ground, sheltered as best you can and bury the pot or mulch it in to protect the roots. The newer growth unfortunately will likely not have time to harden off properly and probably won't bud out come the spring. Try scratching the bark on the trunk to see if the cambium is still green.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a sheltered, unheated space to keep it safe from the worst of winter or a cold room in your house that would stay under 40 F? Those would be my first choice for over winter care of this one.

Alternatively, if you can't keep it sheltered I would place it on the ground, sheltered as best you can and bury the pot or mulch it in to protect the roots. The newer growth unfortunately will likely not have time to harden off properly and probably won't bud out come the spring. Try scratching the bark on the trunk to see if the cambium is still green.
I’ve got 2 spots where my trees go for winter: one along the north side of the garage and another on the northwest corner of the house where the back porch offers some protection. All my trees are already on the ground in those areas. I pack the trees in as close to each other as possible. I’ll mulch them in soon. I’m not especially worried about the layer. I think it will be ok.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Didn’t make it. RIP, little air layer.
5D9F8BB8-9244-492A-A25C-17E822F4A57C.jpeg

Top Bottom