6a
Rough winter for this one. Still hanging on by a thread. Spring 2022:
089F35B4-A392-434B-A3BE-E36924951020.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whoa, sorry! That little guy sure took a hit.

Best
DSD sends

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, the bark separated from parts of the trunk.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hard prune in spring, or the latest just as the flowers peak. Especially in colder climates, there is not enough time for the new growth to harden off and mature.
I believe pruning late can inhibit dormancy and therefore winter hardiness.

This one is still alive, but a lot of dieback, it seems.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with Glaucus. In the upper Midwest, I have found it useful when working with landscape-type azaleas, to pay attention to the solar calendar. For example, I try to get repotting done before the Vernal Equinox, and hard-prune no later than the summer solstice. I’m still experimenting with this, and there are always exceptional situations like emergency re-pots, but my rationale is that repotting before the onset of spring allows plenty of growing season for the roots to recover. It seems that if I hard-prune any later, the new growth will form few if any flower buds by fall. For my deciduous azaleas, I wait until the Autumnal equinox to do branch cutback for ramification in the following spring.

in my experience, if you have freeze-induced bark separation there is little likelihood of that trunk surviving, and worse, you’ll get dieback all the way into the related portion of the root mass. I have not had this problem since I went to using a small greenhouse kept at 37 degrees—cold enough for dormancy, but warm enough to prevent cold injury.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tell me about it! I have three on my front porch—fortunately the blooming kind. Seriously, if you find nursery stock with a nice trunk and decent nebari, they make wonderful shohin projects, and the magenta blossoms are beautiful and not too big for the leaves.

Top Bottom