Lorax7 JWP #4 progression

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Picked up this Japanese White Pine ‘Fukuzumi’ nursery stock this summer.
1C957EEB-BCE1-4EAE-A97B-AFF532DACF60.jpeg
EC247701-D52F-4168-9254-E6B4C5B53ED3.jpeg
0185DA49-A48B-472F-82F1-7EB5B97C3B44.jpeg
39D419E3-2A02-4A4E-AEAF-CCD6AC38AD69.jpeg

Up-potted it a little when I got it w/ minimal disturbance of the roots. Pruned one branch to avoid creating inverse taper, wired the first branch, and wired a branch that will eventually be the trunk. I’m aiming to eventually make this a fairly small tree with a thick trunk. Most of the existing trunk is now a sacrifice branch that will be removed later, once the base has thickened up.
27792849-2E6D-49F1-B8B5-47FE38EC2441.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks very nice . I’m envious you can’t get JWP here anywhere I have looked . Planning on starting some from seed even that is difficult to source . Only trees I have ever seen in nursery here where about 10 years ago and had ugly grafts . . The seller told me the few he had all died in gardens here zine 4 . I assume the roots where not that cold tolerant . Anyway yours looks promising like what you have done so far

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks very nice . I’m envious you can’t get JWP here anywhere I have looked . Planning on starting some from seed even that is difficult to source . Only trees I have ever seen in nursery here where about 10 years ago and had ugly grafts . . The seller told me the few he had all died in gardens here zine 4 . I assume the roots where not that cold tolerant . Anyway yours looks promising like what you have done so far
If you see another JWP, even if it has an ugly graft, you could buy it to use for scion material to graft onto Eastern White Pine rootstock. Of course, growing from seed is also an option. However, my understanding is that they are a bit more challenging to grow from seed, compared with most other pines. The other consideration regarding grafted vs. JWP on its own roots is that the foliage color differs. Grafted JWP foliage tends to be more blue-green in color, whereas JWP on its own roots tends to be more yellow-green. Just depends on what you prefer.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya in hindsight maybe I should have got one of the grafted trees . I have access to a garden tree cultivar glauca my understanding is the blue green colour will apparently come true from seed the tree has several cones I can have when there mature next year I think . My understanding is the majority of grafted trees are grafted .obviously for there preferred growth and foliage characteristics . Like other conifers . But also mainly to make the cold temp tree more heat tolerant . A concern I don’t have Canada bonsai . Who is also a B nutter . Is growing some select cultivars grafted ( with bonsai in mind ) to Pinus strobus as you suggested . He should have stock avail 2023 That’s promising . Some say that some cultivars will air layer well something you might want to think about. For your sacrifice branches
I

Top Bottom