Lorax7 Shimpaku Juniper #1 progression

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I heard on a podcast from someone studying bonsai in Japan that the term Shimpaku was the term for all types of junipers in Japan and not a variety. A real variety would be shimpaku itoigawa for example. Is that correct. Sorry to sidetrack from the posts point.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I heard on a podcast from someone studying bonsai in Japan that the term Shimpaku was the term for all types of junipers in Japan and not a variety. A real variety would be shimpaku itoigawa for example. Is that correct. Sorry to sidetrack from the posts point.
I don't know. I've never been to Japan. All I know is what the nursery label said. 🤷‍♂️ Seems like you could start a separate discussion thread about it and somebody would have an answer for you.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry you are totally right my bad. I also see Shimpaku used everywhere so it’s just confusing but that is bonsai for you. Every “rule” it seems has multiple exceptions and endless counterpoints but I guess that is what makes it continually interesting too. I like the start of your tree I am excited to see how it progresses. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom