Lorax7 Shishigashira #1 progression

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bought the parent tree this spring. Repotted it and started this air layer at about the same time. Harvested this air layer about a month ago and potted in a mesh bottom tray. Here it is in fall 2021:
C8963164-62CD-4BB2-B7F6-ABCF82D1D112.jpeg

SaltySea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've never tried to air layer this variety. Is it easy? Have you got any advice?

Thank you!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never tried to air layer this variety. Is it easy? Have you got any advice?

Thank you!
It seemed to be about the same as layering most of the other cultivars that I’ve tried. The roots looked a little unusual compared with other maples’ roots, but they grew with similar vigor.

I did this layer by girdling the trunk with a grafting knife, removing a ring of bark, scraping off the cambium layer underneath, and wrapping tightly in moist sphagnum moss. I poked some drainage holes through the plastic bag covering the sphagnum, so excess water could drain out the bottom. I also left a bit of an opening at the top so I could water the layer.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice!

I plan to do the same with mine in late spring next year. I look forward to your updates!

Top Bottom