Loropetalum chinense

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I was shopping for light bulbs at Walmart and decided to check out the garden dept. to see what they had. So as I'm walking through the aisles of trees and plants my eyes fell on this unique looking tree with the knarly trunk and instantly thought "this would make great material for bonsai" ..I think. Lol. ...so $10 later I'm walking out of Walmart pretty happy.

I got home and instantly started examining the entire tree trying to figure out what cuts to make that would give this shrub a chance. So I pruned the woody roots leaving the finer feeder roots & decided on chopping the top and leaving the bottom half with the most interesting parts of the trunk. I decided not to cut the taller branch because I want to see if it would back bud to create a type of canopy. If it doesn't look right when it grows out I'll probably decide to remove it.

As you can see I placed it into a bonsai pot, but was wondering if I should repot it into a shallow planter instead... What's you suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 56

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Neat. One thing I would say is something I read on Brent'a website. Small bonsai do not grow up to be big bonsai. In other words once you chop it's roots and stick it in a small pot it won't grow very much. It won't one day have a big thick tapered trunk.

HaVing said that looks neat

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Neat. One thing I would say is something I read on Brent'a website. Small bonsai do not grow up to be big bonsai. In other words once you chop it's roots and stick it in a small pot it won't grow very much. It won't one day have a big thick tapered trunk.

HaVing said that looks neat
Thanks..

I like the size of it as is & really didn't want it to get big or anything. I'll be happy if it survives and puts out new growth! lol.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahhh Wal-Mart, where dreams of all types go to die! (see my smart comment) ...So I agree with Txhort, you won't get a fatter trunk in that pot...But I love these for bonsai! You could now work on developing a more delicate branching pattern next year then put it into either a 5 gal can or in the ground to thicken up the trunk later- grow a sacrifice branch, etc... I wouldn't do any more pruning until spring now though. This is the reason why expeirmenting on box store material is good to do as a beginner, it's low risk, not too much heartache if you kill it and you learn a lot about what you can and cannot do in your own climate! I have done my share of killing too!

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ahhh Wal-Mart, where dreams of all types go to die! (see my smart comment) ...So I agree with Txhort, you won't get a fatter trunk in that pot...But I love these for bonsai! You could now work on developing a more delicate branching pattern next year then put it into either a 5 gal can or in the ground to thicken up the trunk later- grow a sacrifice branch, etc... I wouldn't do any more pruning until spring now though. This is the reason why expeirmenting on box store material is good to do as a beginner, it's low risk, not too much heartache if you kill it and you learn a lot about what you can and cannot do in your own climate! I have done my share of killing too!
yep! i see.. pretty clever! lol. So, are you're suggesting that I wait until next year to put it into a 5 gal can or to do it now? Planting into the ground is a no go (apartment living):mad:. And yeah, I won't prune anymore until next spring.:cool:

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yep! i see.. pretty clever! lol. So, are you're suggesting that I wait until next year to put it into a 5 gal can or to do it now? Planting into the ground is a no go (apartment living):mad:. And yeah, I won't prune anymore until next spring.:cool:
Well you can put it into something bigger now. Remember repotting is all about technique for the time of year for your Zone! I wouldn't remove any roots (any more roots- if you did already), but it's also hard to have a 5 gal on an apartment balcony-so you might want to go the route of developing branching pattern first, you can always fatten up the trunk on these guys later with a sacrifice branch after developing the branching pattern first. Then, you may be in a place with more space to have 5 gal cans outside or even in the ground. Also knowing the soil medium you want to use for a larger can is important to getting the most bang for your buck (and time)...Choose your own adventure time! ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this. The leaves are pretty.

Repotting now is a little risky.

But if it makes it......

I'd let that left section grow for a while or two, and increase your base as much as you can. Then cut it off.

Same for the middle leg, but less than the bottom so you don't lose your taper.

And start developing that last remaining branches into the curve.
Only having foilage there in the final design. Using the trunk as a frame.

I dig it.

Sorce

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome species! There are very people trying to cultivate, but can be beautiful. I will advise that when you chop back, leave some green or purple in this case. They do not back bud readily.

Top Bottom