nmilewski

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all!

First off I'll just say I know it needs better soil, but Ive been wondering if I need to ground layer new roots a little higher. Just did my first major styling work of this Loropetalum. I got it as a gift from a landscaper friend about a year and a half ago and started working toward my first literati style.

I'll be rewiring branches once the flowers drop and I can see them a little better.

I'm pretty happy with it - especially since it cost me $0. That said, I hate the reverse taper, thin trunk below the bottom V. Any way to thicken this with a graft or something? I think the current nebari are decent but would it be worth ground layering just below that V?

I appreciate any and all advice. Despite many years of reading and studying techniques I'm still very new in practice. Eager to learn, so thanks all!

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_104203.jpg
    IMG_20200402_104203.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 103

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice lines.

I do think it would be a far more impressive bonsai if both branches were only about one-third as long. I see some branch stubs roughly corresponding to this, so it might be possible to make it bud there to ultimately generate foliage pads at this height. So were you to do this, it would for a few years have 4 pads, then you'd remove the top two. Of course there are other possibilities and it is quite nice as is.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Did you end up making any decisions? ;)

I like this tree, I’m glad I stumbled upon this thread.

Top Bottom