Los Angeles Area

Reaction score
I will be going out to California in May hopefully. I think I will go to Lotus Bonsai in northern Cali. Later in my trip I will be going south to Los Angeles area. I am asking where are some good places to stop and look at raw material to semi finished material. Id like anyone that knows or could tell me the pro and cons of each place. thanks for your help in advanced. I will be traveling back home to Michigan through vegas and then Denver then Detroit. I will be taking a truck and trailer. Thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A truck and trailer! Then you need to load up!

Just trees? What about pots, akadama, pumice, or scoria?

I second Kimura Nursery for great prebonsai stock. If you have the time, Roy Nagatoshi in Slymar has trees in all stages and some containers. http://www.fujibonsainursery.com/

California Bonsai Studio has all stages of trees and is just NW of LA.

Depending on your N-S route, the Fresno area has some. I haven’t been. But you could check out the Golden State Bonsai Federation collection. Search here or California Bonsai Art blog for info on nurseries. If you are on the coast side and go past Nipomo, call ahead and see if George Muranaka is available. He has field grown prebonsai.

Another neat place is David and June Nguy in Chino, Bonsai Jidai. Amazing trees and lots of pots and akadama. (https://www.bonsaijidai.com/)

Lastly, for something different you could look up Barry at Legacy Cork Oaks at his home nursery. He’s on Facebook.

Epic Road Trip!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve only been to Chikugo-En-en in Gardena (bring your wallet), and one other near San Gabriel with @Bonsai Nut

The one we went to was San Gabriel Nursery. A giant in its day... but not so sure how dedicated they are to bonsai today. The last time I went there was with you :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From posts here about way more places to visit than time down there. Get pumice for sure. Hard to get/expensive back your way. Krapadama can be had easy and 🤬 anyway.

Reaction score
I would like to get multiple places to go to. Would also like good prices on Material that is in very early stages of development for bonsai, but older trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Kimura Bonsai, Fuji Bonsai and California bonsai Studio are all pretty close to each other and all offer some nice raw older material. They are in the northern part of LA county.

I don't venture much into southern LA but the one time I went to Chikugo-En I noticed it had a pretty awesome selection of smaller trees.

Reaction score
Kimura Bonsai, Fuji Bonsai and California bonsai Studio are all pretty close to each other and all offer some nice raw older material. They are in the northern part of LA county.

I don't venture much into southern LA but the one time I went to Chikugo-En I noticed it had a pretty awesome selection of smaller trees.
Any others that you can think of or does one stand out more then the other

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It your coming from the north and want to make the most of a one day trip whats the best route to go??. Chikugo en first then kimura then Fuki then California Bonsai Studio? And end the day at san gabriel nursery?

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Chikugo-en is not open to public right now. California Bonsai Studio had the best prices and stock, then Kimura. There are some other places like Yamaguchi, they have some nice display trees, but not much to buy there. San Gabriel Nursery and Florist is the same.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It your coming from the north and want to make the most of a one day trip whats the best route to go??. Chikugo en first then kimura then Fuki then California Bonsai Studio? And end the day at san gabriel nursery?
My honest advice, don’t even bother with SGN.

chikugo is closed to the public, but they will bring trees out to the front if you call and let them know what you’re looking for. Don’t know exactly how that works, never wanted to try it myself.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My honest advice, don’t even bother with SGN.

chikugo is closed to the public, but they will bring trees out to the front if you call and let them know what you’re looking for. Don’t know exactly how that works, never wanted to try it myself.

Not for purchasing, but if he just wants to look at bonsai, it’s worth a stop. The Huntington Library and Garden is the real place to go see bonsai, if you can get in.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not for purchasing, but if he just wants to look at bonsai, it’s worth a stop. The Huntington Library and Garden is the real place to go see bonsai, if you can get in.
Visits are currently by appointment while ticketed times are available. They release new tickets every Tuesday.

If you are coming down the I-5, Fuji Bonsai Nursery has been open in Sylmar.

Also, north of LA is Kim’s Bonsai in Phelan was an interesting stop. It’s north of the San Gabriel Mtns.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Chikugo-en is not open to public right now. California Bonsai Studio had the best prices and stock, then Kimura. There are some other places like Yamaguchi, they have some nice display trees, but not much to buy there. San Gabriel Nursery and Florist is the same.
must be nice. wonder if they sustain on cover-charges...

(lotta trust fund nurseries out there)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Im planning to purchase. Why SGN is not worth to look? Just curious

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They dont have much in the way of material, the bonsai they have are priced at several thousand dollars.

Lol. Not to mention that the bonsai are all neglected and they price their overly neglected material as if they don't want to sell their trees.

They had a fat trident, for example, just moved from the floor surrounding the bonsai tables to the tabletops.. asked price for that and a winged elm.

First, the winged elm: $5000, despite a few better and more developed ones sitting on the table top for about $2000, which, for those, was quite reasonable.

Trident: $5000.. The damn nursery pot had roots that looked like horse hooves, 2-3" thick, growing outside of and around the drainage holes.

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im planning to purchase. Why SGN is not worth to look? Just curious

Their long-time bonsai curator, Richard Ota, retired a few years ago and their bonsai stock has been neglected. In the early oughts, I remember they had some great stock but no longer. They have almost nothing for pre-bonsai and their potted trees are, as mentioned well overpriced. The one thing they have at reasonable prices are pots. If you really need a pot they have more of the mass-produced Yixing pots than the 3 nurseries in the valley.

If you were down for a full day trip you could go Fuki->Kimura->California Bonsai Studio then end your day at House of Bonsai. House of Bonsai also has a ton of pots (which the other ones are low in stock atm unless you really want an expensive Japanese pot). All four are great nurseries but it's really what you to purchase atm (HoB is the largest, CBS is the smallest).

Chikugo, as mentioned, is curbside only so I personally wouldn't prioritize them at this time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Their long-time bonsai curator, Richard Ota, retired a few years ago and their bonsai stock has been neglected. In the early oughts, I remember they had some great stock but no longer. They have almost nothing for pre-bonsai and their potted trees are, as mentioned well overpriced. The one thing they have at reasonable prices are pots. If you really need a pot they have more of the mass-produced Yixing pots than the 3 nurseries in the valley.

If you were down for a full day trip you could go Fuki->Kimura->California Bonsai Studio then end your day at House of Bonsai. House of Bonsai also has a ton of pots (which the other ones are low in stock atm unless you really want an expensive Japanese pot). All four are great nurseries but it's really what you to purchase atm (HoB is the largest, CBS is the smallest).

Chikugo, as mentioned, is curbside only so I personally wouldn't prioritize them at this time.

Thank you for your suggestion. My trip got delayed because I got detoured to Round Valley Nursery and burn my cash there.

I will be in LA this weekend so I will take your advice. 👍😎

That sucks that Chikugo is only curbside. Hope everything go back to normal. Thanks!

Top Bottom